Does Anyone Know If A Quartz Movement Needs To Be Reset After Battery Change?

chriz74

A friend gave me her watch to sell, it's a Chanel J12, she said she used it once and then put back in the box for 2 years. I noticed the watch was not moving so I thought the battery had to be changed. When I opened it I found rust inside. I changed the battery but the watch doesn't run anyway. I read that maybe there's something to short on the mvmt when you replace battery.

Any clue? If that's not the case I must conclude water damaged the movmt. What do you think?

MRXn1Lh.jpg

opkcoFZ.jpg

Hi Chriz, I don't think the movement needs resetting although you are right in assuming that being quartz it may need to. Not in this case but yes, some movements and I can think of the Miyota 0510 and/or the Hattori V657 do need to be reset after a battery change.

I happen to have a Choppard with a movement just like the one shown in your picture that is not running....but working. I suspect lots of dirt in the works since it has a pulse and when in the machine, its hands turn. I will try to service it and come back to this post with my report. In any case, I haven't been able to find the movement number either but I may need to take it out of the case to do so. The number is usually on the edge like the following example from esslinger:

post-253-0-88411700-1446637882_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

But the movement can be had for about US$40 or less and that will get the watch going again! Esslinger has them all I think although you may get better prices from others as well. It would be a simple swap using the same stem (no need to fit the new one) and a 5 min work. If you are charging for the job, I consider this one an easy one and 100% satisfaction. :)

Cheers,

Bob