I was using the Bergeon 4040P holder ( the movement kept slipping from a tight hold) and I think I pushed the balance wheel and spring out of horizontal when I tried tightening the movement to the holder. I have since bought the metal 4040 holder which holds great.

From the video can I just pry the balance wheel back to horizontal as well as the hairspring?

Caravelle 11DP balance wheel video

10 hours ago, Chief said:

I've never done it, however just today I was reading about it! P.24 - P.38 of this explains the truing procedure for damaged balance wheels. I have no idea if this is still the accepted way of doing it, the learning material is rather old 🤣. Hopefully one of the veterans will be along to give you an easier solution. Good luck

Joseph Bulova School of Watch Making.pdf 50.16 MB · 8 downloads

The description there is exactly how it's done, and it's very well written!

• Like 1

As with every skill it watchmaking, it takes practice. Notice at the top of the document it says, "Practical work - 40 hours".  I can get the balance wheels 'close enough' to flat, but never seem to get them perfect. Same with gear wheels. Guess I need more practice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

The description there is exactly how it's done, and it's very well written!

Well it's good to know I haven't wasted my time reading that book! 

6 hours ago, mikepilk said:

As with every skill it watchmaking, it takes practice. Notice at the top of the document it says, "Practical work - 40 hours".

Yeah they make everything look so easy on paper, but I can imagine how slightly too much pressure on a balance wheel could have devastating consequences.

• Like 1