Help - London Elliott Mantle Clock Night Silence

Hi everyone,

I tried looking for answers on this online but came up with nothing, so I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people might be able to help.

I have an Elliot clock that has been in my family for at least 4 generations. I recently enherited it, and I'm trying to get it to run properly again, as it's been neglected a bit. 

Here,s the problem. These clocks have a silencer mechanism, which is supposed to stop it from chiming between 11PM and 7AM but for some reason mine is silent between 1AM and 9AM. I have tried figuring out how to adjust it but have not managed.

Does anyone have any idea on how to correct this?

Please find attached some pictures of the clock.

Thank you!

20240428_175648.jpg

20240428_174628.jpg

20240428_174637.jpg

20240428_174648.jpg

Edited by MapleWood
Wrong title

• MapleWood changed the title to Help - London Elliott Mantle Clock Night Silence

I have two of these in my home. You need to remove the movement from the case, take off the hands and remove the dial and take a few good photos of the front plate so I can see what the problem is. The round nut unscrews and the hands pull off pull them off from the center and not the tips as you could break them. 

Thank you for the reply!

Here are the photos you asked for. Please do let me know if you need any more photos or information.

Thank you again for the help.

20240428_213755.jpg

20240428_213759.jpg

20240428_213808.jpg

20240428_213811.jpg

20240428_213814.jpg

20240428_213816.jpg

20240428_213822.jpg

20240428_213826.jpg

20240428_213828.jpg

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I have two of these in my home. You need to remove the movement from the case, take off the hands and remove the dial and take a few good photos of the front plate so I can see what the problem is. The round nut unscrews and the hands pull off pull them off from the center and not the tips as you could break them. 

Sorry, I forgot to quote you. The pictures are above. Thank you

Ok, on your movement plate you can see a star wheel on the right, this is the silencer, if you rotate the hands by hand through each hour you will see that eventually it acts upon the cam which moves the lever and in turn lifts the lifting lever thus stopping the chimes and strike working. 

What you need to do is get your clock to 11pm and also turn the star until the cam lifts the lever and stops the action.

The star wheel has a small spring that gives it a positive action between each movement, so once at 11pm you can rotate the star wheel around by hand until it stops the action at 11pm.

Hope this makes sense to you.

I've managed to adjust it.

I'm going to try and explain it as well as I can with my limited horology knowledge but I hope it helps someone in the future.

There is a cam to the right of the front plate as shown in the picture.

As the clock ticks along, the pin indicated in the gear comes around and slots into one of the silencer cam gaps, turning the cam. The pin completes a full rotation in 2 hours.

To adjust the cam to start at the right time set the clock to just before 7. I did 6:45.

Then I turned the silencer cam anticlockwise, which spins freely, until it pushed the silencer lever up and was placed just before the drop. Just before the 7AM indicated in the picture.

All I then had to do was progress the hands to 7-7:15which made the pin slot into the silencer cam gap and turn the cam so the lever comes down again, unsilencing the clock.

That was it.

If anyone comes across this issue again I'd be happy to assist.

Thanks again to everyone that helped.

20240428_213826.jpg

20240428_213816.jpg

12 minutes ago, transporter said:

Ok, on your movement plate you can see a star wheel on the right, this is the silencer, if you rotate the hands by hand through each hour you will see that eventually it acts upon the cam which moves the lever and in turn lifts the lifting lever thus stopping the chimes and strike working. 

What you need to do is get your clock to 11pm and also turn the star until the cam lifts the lever and stops the action.

The star wheel has a small spring that gives it a positive action between each movement, so once at 11pm you can rotate the star wheel around by hand until it stops the action at 11pm.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Hey Transporter! Thanks a lot for the reply. That was a really good explanation and I'm sure it would have made my troubleshooting a lot less painful haha.

I'm sure someone will find it useful in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to try and help me out with this.