Movement inserted from crytal side

Hi, guys

I have a bit of a predicament and hopefully, somebody can advise. I'm working on a Roamer MST 521 where the movement is extracted from the crystal side. I'm now at the final hurdle where I need to replace the movement back into its case but I'm not sure of the correct procedure. I still need to fit the hands but that's where the problem lies. If I insert the winding stem to test the hands for correct alignment I will need to turn the movement over to release the stem again it's the spring-loaded type and needs a small bit of force to push down but with the hands fitted, I don't think I can do this on a cushion without causing some damage to the hands and that's the last thing I want to do, this watch has already been a love-hate relationship and I'm so close to boxing this one off which I'm counting as my first major project.  The other option is to case the movement then fit the hands and hope everything is okay. I've already broken the original winding stem but managed to find a replacement, the last one in stock, so I'm a bit reluctant to keep removing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Put the movement in a movement holder and it will be supported as you push down on the setting lever post to release the winding stem. Make sure the post is over the shoulder of the movement holder so what you are pressing down on is supported.

As a general rule, hold the movement and not the movement holder.

Replace the hands when the movement isn't in the case and support the centre jewel (if it has one) on a hard surface or staking block when replacing the hands to stop the jewel accidentally moving or even coming out. A dedicated movement holder with a central jewel support is even better, but pricey

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jon said:

Put the movement in a movement holder and it will be supported as you push down on the setting lever post to release the winding stem. Make sure the post is over the shoulder of the movement holder so what you are pressing down on is supported.

As a general rule, hold the movement and not the movement holder.

Replace the hands when the movement isn't in the case and support the centre jewel (if it has one) on a hard surface or staking block when replacing the hands to stop the jewel accidentally moving or even coming out. A dedicated movement holder with a central jewel support is even better, but pricey

Thanks, Jon Sounds like a plan. Obviously I'll have the face on so do you think gripping with the holder will create any problems, but I will check in the morning to see how feasible it is but I assume it only needs to be lightly held. As for holding the movement instead of the holder won't be possible in this scenario as one hand will be puling on the stem while the other pushes the spring down. That was my initial concern is how the hell can I do this with only one pair of hands. All the other times I've had to remove the stem hasn't been a problem, apart from the force required to release the stem from the setting lever, but now I need to fit the face and hands its sent me into panic mode. If it had the screw type release things would be a lot simpler but that's life 😀  

Another thing I will need to consider is once the dial and hands are fitted and the movement is sitting in the case I will need to turn it over to put the case screws in. I saw a vid on Wristwatch revival where he lightly fitted the crystal and bezel so he could turn it over, is this the only option or is there another method?      

Edited by Zedster

Is the Roamer not a split stem?

I'm confused on your how your case is put together. If it is a front loader where is it you are putting the case screws?

I love me some Roamer, do you have any photos?

Edited by GuyMontag

Hi,

The winding pin is not split, well that's how it was when I obtained the watch. The movement is front-loaded and here's a picture of where the case screws are fitted. The face picture is before I dismantled it.

2022_0112_065645_002.JPG

Face.jpg

Quick update.  I've always had a nylon ring sitting in the parts try that I wasn't sure where it went and left it to the last thing as I know it must be part of the case assembly. Anyway, looking at the picture in my last post you can see, just under the winding stem, a white-looking object, this is the nylon ring 🤭 So, I had to remove the dial again and replace the ring. Once this was all back together I placed the movement in the case and realized my initial problem maybe is not a problem as it looks like I can screw the movement back in the case and then place the hands as the dial is nearly flush with the outside of the case anyway so I'll be able to check for alignment. if all is good then just fit the crystal and bezel 🤔

I can't think of any issues with this approach but please comment if you think I've not thought of something.

Another lesson learned as well. Take more pictures not just of the movement parts and location 😅

2024_0420_113100_008.JPG

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

Oh, right. For some reason I was picturing a monocoque case in my head. Good looking watch!

Thanks, This watch was in a box of old scrape units that a friend gave me. They used to be his late father's who was a watchmaker before the war and then continued later in life. I picked this one out as it looked like it had potential, and I liked the dial, it's been a bit of a learning curve for a beginner but I was determined to get it going. Now I'm on the final lap it feels good. I'm just wondering whether to invest in a decent set of hand placement tools or stick with the cheap Chinese red thing I have, decisions decision 😆

Edited by Zedster

The watch is automatic, but hte automatic module on the picture is missing.

All the problems that You are afraid of actually are not problems at all. The only thing that You must take care is when pressing the seconds hand in place. You must then support the movement by the stone of the 4th wheel (in the center of the movement) in order to prevent shifting of the stone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

The watch is automatic, but hte automatic module on the picture is missing.

All the problems that You are afraid of actually are not problems at all. The only thing that You must take care is when pressing the seconds hand in place. You must then support the movement by the stone of the 4th wheel (in the center of the movement) in order to prevent shifting of the stone.

Thanks for the advice on the second hand its appreciated, maybe I could use my new staking set to support the jewel 🤔 The movement is a MST 521 and according to the documentation the Auto's start from 522, the 521 is listed as manual with date. I have a auto in the scrap box but not confidant to tackle that one yet😆

Damn it this dammed watch is going to fight me all the way 🤬 I've just put the movement back in its case and checked the function of the winding, date change and looked to make sure the minute and hour spindles moved, no  hands fitted yet. Then for some reason when I checked the quick date change again it wasn't working and just make a clicking sound and looked like it wanted to move but wouldn't. I'll have to remove the face again and see what's happening.  Picture shows the workings and ignore the support lever at 6 as this picture is from the first dismantle and often slips under the date ring when the cover plate is removed. 

2022_0114_001333_002.JPG

2022_0114_000147_001.JPG