Crown Snapped Off - Armani Renato Watch

Hi - I've never fixed a watch before, but an opportunity to learn has arisen 🙂 . I noticed the crown on my watch was missing - luckily found it on the floor of my car. I don't know what happened.

It looks to me like a threaded "male" part of the fixing has snapped (please see image below) and that is now stuck in the crown itself. Can anyone recommend what to do to fix myself? I am thinking I need to open up the watch and replace the connection part somehow? It's an Armani Renato Watch, like the below but slightly different (about 10 years old)

Image One - Crown

Image Two

Watch

Thanks for any help, Mark

Edited by watchrepairIRE
Mistakes

You’ll need to get a new winding stem - they can usually be found on ebay quite cheaply and are specific to the watch movement. Next, get the back off the watch and remove the broken stem. There’s either a screw or a push-down button near the stem to allow it to pull out. Hopefully there’s enough to grab. 

Thirdly, you’ll need to get the crown off the broken bit of stem. This will probably be threadlocked. Maybe use heat, or a solvent such as acetone to loosen the glue. There looks to be enough stem there to grip it and unscrew.

Then, after fitting the new stem you’ll need to shorten it - suggest you look this up on

• Like 1

The advice you've been given by @Bonefixeris correct.  Firstly remove the back, probably snap back, look up removing a snap back watch back.  Then post photos, no need to link, can be directly embedded.  Then we can help you remove the remainder of the stem  

We'll go from there. 

You need to remove the caseback first and remove the movement from the case. Next you need to identify the movement. There are usually numbers stamped into the plates.

Depending on how much stem is left in the movement, sometimes a new stem might not be necessary. If there is enough remaining screw threads, a stem extender can be screwed on and the crown screwed onto the end of the extender.

Removing the broken stem from the crown might be a little trickier. Sometimes you have to soak it in alum to dissolve away the broken piece, which can take several days. Other times, a new crown might be necessary. 

Thanks for all of the replies - I got the caseback off but can't find the stem - I'm guessing it's fallen out. I'm going to try and remove the small segment of stem from the crown now. So I need a new stem I am guessing? 

Image attached

IMG_0466.jpg

I've taken a magnifying glass to it and think something like the below is written:

"RONDA 1 ONE JEWEL" on the central part of the watch

"SWISS PARIS TRAIL AND NADS" or "SWISS PARTS THAILAND MADE" near where the stem would enter. I'm assuming it's the second option.

Is that enough information to find a suitable stem?

You will probably find a replacement movement that has a stem would cost a few quid and probably cheaper than sourcing just the stem on its own. Is there any numbers on the movement to identify it?

Given the remainder of the stem was not present in the watch, it is likely that it was forcefully pulled out, with the end and crown snapping off at the time. 

Perhaps the crown got caught on something in the car?

If the part of the stem usually retained by the movement has been forcibly pulled out, there is a significant chance of damage that will mean that the movement will no longer retain a new stem properly, or damage to the parts that engage and disengage the hand setting mechanism. 

Given new movements are usually very cheap, I’d suggest sourcing a new movement, complete with stem rather than a stem alone. 

Best Regards,

Mark