Caravelle 11DP (citizen 0241) Stem falls out.

I serviced my first watch a Caravelle 11DP. Its running good but I am having a continuing  problem. As soon as I install the movement into the case and add the "movement ring adapter" the stem can be pulled out without pushing the release button. I removed the movement, adapter, hands and dial to see wheat the problem is.

I found the setting lever had moved inwards away from the notch in the stem which holds the stem in place.

I dissembled the key less works and re lubed and reassembled. Everything was perfect.

Until I put the movement in the case and added the adapter ring. I looked and could not find anything interfering with the setting lever.

I do have a parts watch that I could replace the setting lever and see if that helps.

Oh and the hole where the setting lever sits in the main plate is super clean as I checked that first.

Any ideas?

Just to make sure, the setting lever has two notches in the post that goes into and through the mainplate. The spring (which has an orientation) which holds the setting lever down goes into the top notch, not the lower one. It's also possible that if that spring isn't providing enough tension to keep the setting lever engaged with the stem, when you case the movement and insert the stem it might push the setting lever out of position. I don't think you need to push down on the setting lever post from the train side before inserting the stem on this movement but maybe try so if you haven't yet. Before putting in the stem, look and make a mental note of where the setting lever post that engages the stem is sitting and when you insert the stem make sure the notch in the stem is lined up with that.

Also, are you sure the stem is long enough?

Are you rotating the stem as you gently insert it to make sure the square part of the stem is lined up with the square opening in the sliding pinion?

stem.thumb.jpg.fb31a5af64598a57ba24baa2c33f8d27.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 1

When it is in its case are you sure the stem is pushed right home. A common cause is if the button is screwed to far onto the stem it is not right home. So try a little longer stem if you have one, or a button with a longer pipe. 

• Like 1

The spring has a small 'V' shaped bend in it. As shown below, the bottom of the spring rests on the mainplate, so that the spring has a slight activation to push the setting lever down.

spring.thumb.jpg.640b1d1c4fc7447b14b329ae8aff40ee.jpg

This is what I found. The pin on the left is what came out from the watch. The other is from another movement. I had the spring in upsideddown. The curious thing I noticed is the pin from the spare movement only has one slot or groove. Do you know why they are different? The dials and hands are different also.

2020_0506_073013_001.JPG

I'm not sure why there are two different versions of the setting lever. I've worked on a handful of these and have only seen the one with the two notches. Is it working correctly now?