Pocket Roskopf pin pallet fork problem

I am facing to Roskopf patent issue. There is a pin pallet fork and the issue is: the fork sometimes swap to opposite side and watches stops. Obviously it happened due shaking. But yesterday happend to me when my watches was lying on the table and withou any shake. Any advice please?

Hi are you describing overbanking , inas much the fork gets to the wrong side of the impulse pin ? , can you post some pictures of the movement in its locked position.  And also from the back and side as there my be an alignment problem with the fork or the impulse pin

Disassembled movement before cleaning process. I have no better photo actually. Hard to make better due limited space when the movement is ticking.

IMG_20221108_194442_DRO.thumb.jpg.6c8c6767697084fbe772ba594ffe388c.jpg

Hi can’t gain any insight from the picture,  the pin pallet escapement (roskopf ) uses the brass finger on the roller, the roller has an arc cut out of it which enables the guard pin on the pallet to control the entry and exit of the pallet during ths arc and it should not over bank. Possible problems are.  The guard pin is bent or misaligned , bent banking pins , bent pallet .   Di£ the watch run in any shape or form before you dismantled it, and any history of the watch.

Well I have to focus on that part of the movement. Also is possible the fork is from another movement, no idea. History of this watches is unknown. I got them as nonworking. Anyway thanks for your effort!

You have to understand what exactly happens. If it is overbanking, then You will need to remove the balance and put it again (or turn it aside and push the lever to the other side) to make the watch work again. Overbanking will never happen if the guard pin and guard roller are as they should be. The pin will limit the lever movement by touching the roller. So You must see if the pin can go above or under the roller or if it is short and goes directly thru the roller. But I think this is not the case. I guess that the escapement unlocks early and the guard pin can't prevent it and the balance stops due guard pin pressed to the roller. If it is the case, then the escapement must be made a little bit deper, this is done by reducing the distance between the lever and escape wheel. There is a screw that regulates this distance and it must be unscrewed a little.

Hi find attached the handbook, in chapter ten it explains the escapements and types, pin pallet included. It will give you an insight as to what to look at and what to expect during operation . It explains the banking and the pallet and guard pin operations.

being non workers you are in an indertermined state, was it duff before you started or was it somthing you did..      two more thoughts spring to mind and that’d the balance end shake being too much , impulse pin not centered or as you mentioned are the parts original who knows it will take some digging through,  the balance pivots being conical need to be needle sharp and the cups clean.  Good luck hope the book helps.

handbook_of_watch_and_clock_repairsa.pdf

Finally solved after another inspection yesterday. I found the fork pinguard was slightly shorter. Several gently taps extend that pin enough. Actually the watch is under testing and everything looks good. Thank you watchweasol!

• Like 1