Not sure if this is the right place to put this post as its not about a shock setting but it seemed to make the most sense. I‘m currently servicing a Longines Cal 14.16 and I am struggling with how to remove one of the balance cap jewels. It does not have a shock setting so I removed the balance complete hoping to find some screws on the underside of the balance cock but instead found a c clip. I removed that which allowed the jewel assembly to come out but I still can‘t separate cap jewel. Any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

IMG_4987.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

How did you conclude this setting has no shock protection system? 

Well it doesn’t seem to have any spring. At first I thought it might just have lost the spring and possibly cap jewel but after inspection I realized that was not the case. I’ve done a little online research about the movement and there appear to be versions with shock protection but not this one. Unless I’m missing something, which is certainly possible. Here are a couple photos of everything assembled for reference. One is of the movement I’m working on but it’s out of focus so I’ve also attached a couple I found online.IMG_4921.thumb.jpeg.6484ed90cba88b4ad7ba6b3facd0f20b.jpegIMG_4990.jpeg.9da3376366253252c18052902115a1ff.jpegIMG_4989.jpeg.e9fad0d5fd6fa4c908d99c09c200af79.jpeg

That’s an odd one. Looking at other examples of your caliber…

IMG_1622.thumb.jpeg.8125910ae97bf506e5b3ea3fcaef29ec.jpeg

…it looks like there could be a tension ring like a hoop with a gap what wedges between the jewel and setting? Rotating the gap in the ring to the gap in the setting…either the gap lets you release the tension or ramps above the setting as it rotates? If so…very pingable…

…later versions use the lyre type spring.

Edited by rehajm

THE CUT IN SETTING INDICATES A STONE IS TO BE INSTALL & REMOVABLE THOUGH WITH OR WITHOUT SHOCK SPRING.

rehajm has spotted it.

41 minutes ago, rehajm said:

…it looks like there could be a tension ring like a hoop with a gap what wedges between the jewel and setting? Rotating the gap in the ring to the gap in the setting…either the gap lets you release the tension or ramps above the setting as it rotates?

PalletSpoon, perhaps your magnification doesn't suit your eyesight. 

Rgds

Edited by Nucejoe

5 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Perhaps your magnification doesn't suit your eyesight. 

…unfortunately there is no magnification that suits my eyesight 😃

Edited by rehajm

1 minute ago, rehajm said:

…unfortunately there is no magnification that suits my eyesight, yes…though here I only have the zapruder-grade photos

I meant palletspoon, so editted and added palletspoon, was affraid you might think its to you.  

Just now, Nucejoe said:

I meant palletspoon, so editted and added palletspoon, was affraid you might think its to you.  

Yes- no worries either way mate…

..so, I’m not clear- are we looking at a gap in the rim of the chaton?

1 hour ago, rehajm said:

…it looks like there could be a tension ring like a hoop with a gap what wedges between the jewel and setting? Rotating the gap in the ring to the gap in the setting

Ok that makes sense. Thank you so much! I will try not to fling anything across the room.

26 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

PalletSpoon, perhaps your magnification doesn't suit your eyesight. 

Haha if they made a loupe that could magically fill the gaps in my knowledge I promise I would be the first to order it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PalletSpoon said:

Haha if they made a loupe that could magically fill the gaps in my knowledge I promise I would be the first to order it

You actually have  more hands on experience with this calib than I, your working on it but I see its image for the first time ( which you posted) .

Its just ones familiarity with watch stuff gained as one wastes more time thinkering with watches.

You missed what you didn't  see, A microscope is very very helpful.

Rgds