Hi,

I’m constantly asking my wife to help me with removing the stem in order to complete casing.

To expand, this is not a challenge for me when the setting lever is secured by a screw (older calibers).

However when the setting lever is attached to a spring loaded setting lever axel, like on more modern calibers, I simply don’t see how to apply enough pressure on the button to get the stem out short of putting the movement face down with the dial and hands attached, which I’m loath to do in order to avoid damaging the dial/hands?

what technique should I be using?

thanks

Edited by Levine98
Clarity

11 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

Place the movement dial-down in a movement holder.

I have a holder specifically for this with thin jaws so that they dont encroach too far onto the dial that i lined the jaws with pvc tape so the dial does get scratched.  I'm also aware that the second hand doesn't get caught up. You could also use the plastic or wooden cup style of holder but the movement does slip around a bit in the plastic one. Otherwise i pick it up and manage to flick the stem out while pushing the setting screw or lever, it is fiddly. 

Thanks. I forgot I had a plastic movement holder, will try that out. Was also thinking I’d wait to install the sweep second hand until after removing the stem to help avoid getting it caught up and bent.

• Like 1