Maximum amperage Quartz watch coils ?

In the not too far future I may have to check some coils of a quartz chronograph watch for conductivity.

I do have a few Fluke Digital multi-meters, among those a Fluke 87V and a Fluke 77.

In resistance-mode, the Fluke 87V measures 2.7 V across the probes. The Fluke 77 measures 0.77 V across the probes

If I assume that the resistances of a coil is 1.2kΩ, than the initial current would be 2.25 mA (2250µA) with the Fluke 87V and 0.64 mA (640µA) with the Fluke 77.

Has anybody some idea's about how much current these little coils can take before going up in smoke?

Can these coils be safely measured with a multi-meter and if the answer is no, how else can it be done?

I have a homework for You. As You have 2 Flukes, find a resistor 1,2K, then use the one Fluke to measure the resistance of the resistor while with the other Fluke measure the current thru the resistor or the voltage on it. You will be surprised then what questiod did You ask in the first post.

Edited by nevenbekriev
  • Like 1

If you check Fluke's spec sheet, the voltage you mentioned is under no load condition. The measuring current is in the order of uA. Should be safe for coils.

I use a Taiwan made DVM and have never blown any coils to date. 🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I use a Taiwan made DVM

That's where the Fluke's are made .... 😆

8 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

You will be surprised

Of course a resistor isn't the same and doesn't behave the same as a coil, but there is no point in making things more complicated if, like HectorLooi says, in practice a DVM is safe to use.

I just try to get a handle on what I'm doing before I'm doing ......

Edited by Endeavor

Voltage on the probes is no constant: it depends on the connected resistor. In fact they output a current, no voltage.

Important:  voltage across the coil under test must be lower than about 1 V, else the circuit can spoil the result.  Therefore special watch testers.

The lower the test result compared to full range, the lower the voltage on the resistor/coil under test.

If you test a separated coil, no Fluke or other meter can damage your coil.

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2