Depends. If you're interested only in inspecting jewels, it's probably fine. Overkill and a lot of dedicated bench space for a single purpose tool (even by watchmaking standards), but you would be able to really get in there.

If the goal is a microscope for the purposes it's generally used for around these parts, that's a non-starter. Too high power (and single power from what little information is available?), too little working distance.

If you're looking for a watchmaking 'scope, there's a way-too-long thread on the subject under the title "stereomicroscopes" or similar. Currently, it seems the best deal going on the best watchmaking setup is the Eakins on Ali-X in the neighborhood of $400-some odd. A bit more layout, a LOT more scope, totally changes your watchmaking experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use a loupe but do have/use a boom arm  Amscope brand scope,[ WF 10X/20 ] eyepiece, and add a 0.5x Barlow lens for depth/working abilities, probably a little more than the one you are looking at....the one you are looking at will work for inspection purposes though....

On 4/1/2024 at 5:41 PM, Bonefixer said:

Is Vevor an Amscope copycat, looks much the same

It seems that most of these models are from the same (Chinese) factory, just differently branded & priced. Mine Chinese scope is branded as a "Swift", but there is also Euromex, Besser, Bewinner etc etc. All suspiciously similar looking.

I think Amscope stands for America scope, a catchy brand name for in the US and mostly sold in ...... you guessed it; the US. The same scope for in the EU is branded; Euromex.

My 7x - 45x Swift has a LED-light in the base, ideal for inspecting jewels. The upper-LED is replaced/modified with a LED-ring light.

Screenshot2024-04-05at13_24_36.png.a4ed35759618a05b9a93fb995f73841d.png

If I need more work-space, for that I've a computer monitor arm with a 0.5x Barlow lens;

monitorarm.jpeg.f8a044b3fdb7c5e7771bb12839fce18f.jpeg

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Endeavor said:

If I need more work-space, for that I've a computer monitor arm with a 0.5x Barlow lens;

Does the back of the microscope body have VESA screw mounts to attach your monitor arm, or did you modify either or both of them to mate them?

5 hours ago, mbwatch said:

Does the back of the microscope body have VESA screw mounts to attach your monitor arm, or did you modify either or both of them to mate them?

I hope this will explain what I've done 😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Endeavor said:

It seems that most of these models are from the same (Chinese) factory, just differently branded & priced. Mine Chinese scope is branded as a "Swift", but there is also Euromex, Besser, Bewinner etc etc. All suspiciously similar looking.

I think Amscope stands for America scope, a catchy brand name for in the US and mostly sold in ...... you guessed it; the US. The same scope for in the EU is branded; Euromex.

My 7x - 45x Swift has a LED-light in the base, ideal for inspecting jewels. The upper-LED is replaced/modified with a LED-ring light.

Screenshot2024-04-05at13_24_36.png.a4ed35759618a05b9a93fb995f73841d.png

monitorarm.jpeg.f8a044b3fdb7c5e7771bb12839fce18f.jpeg

Two of mine is of the Swift brand, I'm not sure if they are still made but they've been around for donkey's years. One of them is made in Japan and looks to be from the 70's