Hi everyone,

As my first vintage watch, I got myself a Janex from eBay with an FHF 96. It did run, as long as it was flat on my desk. When moving it around, sometimes it stopped, just to give you some context.

I disassembled it and when putting it back together if I spin the barrel, the escape wheel seems to get pushed out of engagement instead of turning properly after I put on the bridge. It is quite the work to get the bridge to sit completely flush, but even then the escape wheel gets pushed out of engagement instead of spinning in place.

Are there any tips/tricks that I can try to get the escape wheel turning properly? 

Thanks everyone and have a nice weekend!

Did you remember to install the cap jewel attached to the plate? I forgot once and had all kinds of trouble getting the train to seat. Finally I saw the removed jewel. This is from a FHF 96-4 I did a few months ago. Same as yours except the added date complication. That cap jewel is for the escape wheel.

jewel.png

Edited by JackH

35 minutes ago, LuigiMeister2800 said:

Hi everyone,

As my first vintage watch, I got myself a Janex from eBay with an FHF 96. It did run, as long as it was flat on my desk. When moving it around, sometimes it stopped, just to give you some context.

I disassembled it and when putting it back together if I spin the barrel, the escape wheel seems to get pushed out of engagement instead of turning properly after I put on the bridge. It is quite the work to get the bridge to sit completely flush, but even then the escape wheel gets pushed out of engagement instead of spinning in place.

Are there any tips/tricks that I can try to get the escape wheel turning properly? 

Are the escape wheel pivots intact and seated securely within their respective jewels at all times ?

47 minutes ago, LuigiMeister2800 said:

Hi everyone,

Verify the symptom first, look for the cause second , apply the cure last.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Are the escape wheel pivots intact and seated securely within their respective jewels at all times ?

Ye peep thats the most likely cause, BROKEN ESCAPE ARBOUR PIVOT.

Or pivot not in jewel hole.

Edited by Nucejoe
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JackH said:

Did you remember to install the cap jewel attached to the plate? 

jewel.png

Yeah I did, removed it again to make sure this was in place properly. I noticed that one side had a little material taken away (I don't know how you call this in English) so the screw sits flat so I am also quite sure that I got it right.

15 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Verify the symptom first, look for the cause second , apply the cure last.

Thanks, I'll take a look this evening. Don't know if I'll be able to see it clearly (max. magnification I have is 5x) but I'll do my best 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuigiMeister2800 said:

Yeah I did, removed it again to make sure this was in place properly. I noticed that one side had a little material taken away (I don't know how you call this in English) so the screw sits flat so I am also quite sure that I got it right.

Thanks, I'll take a look this evening. Don't know if I'll be able to see it clearly (max. magnification I have is 5x) but I'll do my best 😄

X10 would be better. 

• Like 1

The pivot on the escape wheel is indeed broken.

I managed to find someone close by that sells vintage watches and has some more FHF 96's, so I'll pick one or two up soon to practice on and resume this wonderful journey! 

Thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LuigiMeister2800 said:

The pivot on the escape wheel is indeed broken.

I managed to find someone close by that sells vintage watches and has some more FHF 96's, so I'll pick one or two up soon to practice on and resume this wonderful journey! 

Thanks for the help 

ST 96 are made in India now and are inexpensive, a  brand new movement can be had for  $ 30 or less.

Just thought to inform you cuz here at WRT we wouldn't want members overcharged by non members .ha ha

See how friendly this community is. 🤠  lol

Edited by Nucejoe
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

ST 96 are made in India now and are inexpensive, a  brand new movement can be had for  $ 30 or less.

Just thought to inform you cuz here at WRT we wouldn't want members overcharged by non members .ha ha

See how friendly this community is.   lol

Is the ST 96 basically the same as an FHF 96 but produced by another company?

Yeah this community is superb, did not know such nice places existed on the internet these days 😄 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LuigiMeister2800 said:

Yeah this community is superb, did not know such nice places existed on the internet these days 😄 

Friendship is only the beginning in this forum. The members take care of us as we take part. Believe it or not, it just gets better. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 1:41 AM, LuigiMeister2800 said:

YES, the BASE CALIBER is BASICally the same, made by FHF also by ST , in some cases you see a movement might be stamped  ST FHF. All are of same BASE CALIBER. Then newer  versions were improved by COMPLICATIONS like date, day   etc.   As long as they  beat the same frquency say 18000bph they were said to be in the same family though might have been modified  or have different settings or shock systems etc. BUT when frequency was improved a new family was created , all families constitute a generation. 

Go on to Dr ranfft site  bidfun to see a sample of this breakdown.

An escape wheel out of any variant of same family ( frequency )  fits you watch 

Rgds

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 10:11 PM, LuigiMeister2800 said:

Fhf would be the company Fontainemelon,  the ST was their main mass produced calibers abbreviation for Standard Caliber .At one time the most produced movements in the world

Stamped either  ST96 or FHF96 or ST-FHF96  or any modified version thereof,  for example ( ST96-4  )  , a 18000 beater escape  out of any of the above 96 calibers,  fits your watch. 

Rgds

• Like 1