Postage worldwide

Morning all, brit but based in greece, I have a uk postal address with my folks

Uk is now out of Europe,  just wondering how you guys are set up for shipping in or out of the UK, is there import tax? Are there problems shipping to European countries?......anyone in the USA, know how we are fixed for buying from there and shipping to the UK.

I generally spend my early mornings over coffee surfing for anything interesting on various websites and would just like an ide of any additional costs.

Cheers

You will pay import duty when buying from the UK, just like you would from any other non-EU country. If the Greek postal service operates similar to the German one, you will pay a handling charge for dealing with customs on top of that. Depending on timing etc. I have had goods bought in the UK shipped to family there, and picked them up later. EU import duty is also applied to gifts above a certain value, so repacking and sending on from your parents' will often also incur charges. I haven't tried shipping into the UK, but I assume it's the same.

Without getting myself in hot water, the import duties and VAT etc are based on the value of the shipment. Hence, if your paperwork states it is worth €1000 you will pay more tax/import than if the paperwork states €100. Not suggesting you do anything illegal (ahem...) but if you contacted the shipper and explain the situation I have found that most are receptive to being "economical" with their shopping paperwork values... if you see what I mean?

Additionally if there is a threshold value for incurring duty you could consider splitting your order over several days to ensure your packages do not get combined and incurr the import fees. Of course you have to balance this saving against the additional shipping postal costs for shipping 2 packages instead of 1.