Need to replace a quartz movement in a clock for a friend. Help needed, since I have no idea how to size/categorize clock movements.

GregG

I am replacing the movement in a clock for a friend.  The clock itself is nice but the movement is a basic no-frills Chinese quartz movement with a sweep second hand (though I don't think he cares if I replace it with a sweep or step seconds).

I don't know the proper way to categorize clock movements or what the standards are, so I don't know what to buy.  Though I figure it's going to come from one of these pages:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/standard-step-seconds-chinese

or

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/standard-sweep-seconds-chinese

It has a center nut to secure the movement to the face.  The threaded portion is 7.55 mm in diameter and 15.3 mm long.  The hour pinion is 5.47 mm in diameter, the minute pinion is 3.62 mm in diameter, and the seconds pinion is 0.89 mm in diameter.  The entire length of the threaded shaft, plus the hour hand seating length plus the minute hand seating length is 22 mm long.  The whole movement is about 55.8 mm square, though I don't think that matters since the clock is way larger than the movement would ever be.

It looks like I need a "Non-Euro Fitting" model since those dimensions come pretty close to my hand dimensions.  And they say that the Shaft = From movement front to centre shaft tip, so I'm assuming that I need a 22.5 mm model, part # M61763.  Does this all sound correct?

Thanks

Greg

The thing you need to be careful with and only applies if the case has a glass is the length of the center spindle make sure it isn't to long other wise the hands will rub the inside of the glass and the movement will stop. You need to sort out the hands as the ones you have might not fit so buy the hands  that come with the movement normally you have a selection to pick from something near the length of the old movement and style. They all fit by a center fixing nut.  

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 2

Even in cheap Chinese quartz movements it will have an id number for the Cal., so a google search for a comparison on what movement to replace it with.

cousins don’t stock all of them, i found a seller that sells just quartz parts and got the exact replacement for a pendulum quartz, for the life of me I can’t remember the name of The seller, I’ll look in my receipts when I’m in the workshop later and try to find it.