Peseux 7070 Lower Balance Jewel Setting Removal?

Happy New Year everyone,

I started disassembly and cleaning of this Vulcain Watch Co. Peseux 7070 movement. I cleaned each jewel hole with pegwood but after cleaning in the ultrasonic machine and selective Rodico touch ups the lower balance jewel hole is filled with pegwood fibers.

I tried using my tweezers, pegwood and a sharp pin to try and remove the fibers but even if I am successful I wouldn't be able to properly clean and oil the jewel afterwards. Does anyone have any experience with this type of jewel setting? I didn't want to try and twist the jewel setting out without knowing if I would be able to replace it in kind. Is there a special tool or can I carve one out of pegwood? Also looks like the upper balance jewel setting is similar.

The pictures are the best I can do using the iPhone camera and loupe. The setting has "three" slits equally spaced around the jewel.

Thanks,

Dan

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

3 hours ago, menez718 said:

Happy New Year everyone,

I started disassembly and cleaning of this Vulcain Watch Co. Peseux 7070 movement. I cleaned each jewel hole with pegwood but after cleaning in the ultrasonic machine and selective Rodico touch ups the lower balance jewel hole is filled with pegwood fibers.

I tried using my tweezers, pegwood and a sharp pin to try and remove the fibers but even if I am successful I wouldn't be able to properly clean and oil the jewel afterwards. Does anyone have any experience with this type of jewel setting? I didn't want to try and twist the jewel setting out without knowing if I would be able to replace it in kind. Is there a special tool or can I carve one out of pegwood? Also looks like the upper balance jewel setting is similar.

The pictures are the best I can do using the iPhone camera and loupe. The setting has "three" slits equally spaced around the jewel.

Thanks,

Dan

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

The wood fibres should brush out then soak in a cleaning solution and dry to remove any residue that might be left over. But  the shock spring and cap jewel are missing anyway.

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The wood fibres should brush out then soak in a cleaning solution and dry to remove any residue that might be left over. But  the shock spring and cap jewel are missing anyway.

The space between the hole jewel and cap jewel is too tight to brush the peg wood fibers out.  Been cycling between soaking and ultrasonic cleaning but the hole remains clogged.  I read this type of setting is called a "vented" jewel setting.  Wish I knew before attempting to peg. 😭 I won't make that mistake again in the future. Giving up for the night but will try again tomorrow.   

Try using a sharpened brass wire to loosen the pegwood bits, then flush it with a syringe filled with water. Use a larger size needle, like a 18G or 12G. Flatten the sharp tip until you get a blunt needle. Try to get a seal around the jewel hole and forcefully flush the debris out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, menez718 said:

The space between the hole jewel and cap jewel is too tight to brush the peg wood fibers out.  Been cycling between soaking and ultrasonic cleaning but the hole remains clogged.  I read this type of setting is called a "vented" jewel setting.  Wish I knew before attempting to peg. 😭 I won't make that mistake again in the future. Giving up for the night but will try again tomorrow.   

Thats a new one for me. It looks like a kif spring setting with the spring missing. Maybe it doesn't come apart then.

Happy New Year everyone!

Using a sharpened pin and cycles of 10 min heated ultrasonic cleaning baths, I was able to clear the immediate pivot hole of debris. I don't own a Seitz tool or equivalent so I did not want to risk removing and breaking the jewels.

Fibers remain in the gap between the jewels adjacent to the pivot hole but no significant drops of amplitude were noted on the initial timegrapher readings in multiple positions with a healthy amplitude above 225 degrees.

Using the sharpened pin and capillary action, I was able to oil the balance jewels without an automatic oiler.

All in all it turned out to be a great little timepiece and a huge lesson learned: Don't peg jewels unless both ends are open! Will attempt for final regulation after wearing for a few days. Enjoy the pics and have fun tonight!

Dan

IMG_20231231_174448836.jpg

IMG_20231231_174442250.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, menez718 said:

Happy New Year everyone!

Using a sharpened pin and cycles of 10 min heated ultrasonic cleaning baths, I was able to clear the immediate pivot hole of debris. I don't own a Seitz tool or equivalent so I did not want to risk removing and breaking the jewels.

Fibers remain in the gap between the jewels adjacent to the pivot hole but no significant drops of amplitude were noted on the initial timegrapher readings in multiple positions with a healthy amplitude above 225 degrees.

Using the sharpened pin and capillary action, I was able to oil the balance jewels without an automatic oiler.

All in all it turned out to be a great little timepiece and a huge lesson learned: Don't peg jewels unless both ends are open! Will attempt for final regulation after wearing for a few days. Enjoy the pics and have fun tonight!

Dan

IMG_20231231_174448836.jpg

IMG_20231231_174442250.jpg

Glad you got it sorted, you might need to get back in there now and again to clear more bits as they break down, unlikely they will do any lasting damage.

• Like 1