Mainspring winding set from Bergeon, or not?

Greetings to everyone, 

Recently there was this nice watchmaker festival, and while looking around I stumbled upon this nice little mainspring winding set. The price was right so, I couldn't resist from not buying it. 

On the box and on each tool says Bergeon, and the kit looks like it was never used, some parts even covered grease. Googling did not bring much results, if any at all. 

So I'm just wondering, is this a real deal Bergeon winding set, or a modern reproduction of some sort?  Does anyone know?

Thank you!

IMG_4635.JPG

It's 100% Bergeon. Well.... Bergeon had it made. I've owned probably a dozen sets of these, some marked Bergeon, some no name, but clearly from mid 20th century. Identical. There are little nuances, also between Bergeon sets of the same period. Definitely Swiss in any case.

The big change on these was when they started making "Nivaflex" sets. The only real difference is instead of a hoky (usually too long) hook, the hook is "internal" to the arbor. Basically machined in, on a spiral, like a real barrel arbor, instead of being whacked in raising metal with a punch. I think it was to accommodate some of the unforgivingness of modern alloy springs being stretched out. Caliber specific winders soon followed, as the trend became to make barrel arbors smaller to allow more spring length, and the old standard winder arbor diameters proved to be too large.

I might have this identical set- will check tomorrow when in the shop. I like that a lot of folks back then wrote the date purchased under the lid, I think the set I use most is marked 1943 😮.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, swiss2k said:

Wow. So it's more of a museum piece than an actual tool?

If all the vintage tools that watchmakers are currently using were to disappear because it's a museum piece watch repair would cease to exist. Vintage means nothing to a watchmaker that is a very usable tool.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

That's my main set, was off on the date a few years. And another set with the same info sheet as OP, I think the quote in German is something like, "if you want good health, don't take pleasure in good things", maybe someone is more fluent here?

20231124_114336.jpg

20231124_114440.jpg

Pretty much correct, according to my German friend. 

Screenshot_20231124_113255_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

That's my main set, was off on the date a few years. And another set with the same info sheet as OP, I think the quote in German is something like, "if you want good health, don't take pleasure in good things", maybe someone is more fluent here?

20231124_114336.jpg

20231124_114440.jpg

Who wants good health, should enjoy good things not to much. 😃 

Funny. Tell that to the guys with APs, Rolexs and so on... just kidding))) 

Cool sets btw! Thank you for sharing. 

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

If all the vintage tools that watchmakers are currently using were to disappear because it's a museum piece watch repair would cease to exist. Vintage means nothing to a watchmaker that is a very usable tool.

Understood. Thank you 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Seeing as how most of my tools for jeweling and staking were purchased from antiques dealers this is wise…

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...