Removing dial from Omega Constellation Cal. 654

I am attempting to remove the dial from an Omega Constellation with the Cal. 654 movement. I have worked on a few Cal. 650 series movements before, but they all had dial screws to remove the dial. This one appears to have a friction fit dial, but I can't seem to get it off. I've tried prying it and it seems to have moved a little, but I'm concerned that I might bend the dial if I keep going. Is there something I'm missing?

PXL_20231111_214914200.jpg

PXL_20231111_214935336.jpg

PXL_20231111_214957989.jpg

PXL_20231111_215010288.jpg

• Sad 1

Missing  dial feet screws , so feet or the dial plate itself  might  have been glued to the mainplate.

Try inserting a safety razor blade between dial and mainplate plate, work your way around  the dial to cut into any glue which might be sticking to back of the dial plate.

once you are sure dial plate has seperated,  push on the free end of each dial feet a bit at a time.

Good luck.

14 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I don't seem to be finding any information on a caliber 654? On the other hand if we swap the numbers around 564  that does have dial screws.

Yeah, my bad I got the numbers mixed up. It is a 564. It's probably glued down like Nucejoe said. I'll try my best to get it off, hopefully without damaging it. 

2 hours ago, MarcusD said:

Yeah, my bad I got the numbers mixed up. It is a 564. It's probably glued down like Nucejoe said. I'll try my best to get it off, hopefully without damaging it. 

Dr ranfft shows a picture of 564 with the date disc, you don't want the  razor to hit the disc. 

Push on the free end of dial foot   DO NOT PRY  the dial plate.

Good luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Watch this video, hard to see what he's doing but the screwdriver is not at 90⁰ to the movement. 

Now that we have the correct movement number which we do know has dial screws here's what he's referring to so one of the dial screws is found. Unfortunately these gifts over the other one but still now we know where it is

image.png.5ead9a0b4ffd37c08480a489b3308d62.png

So yes a lot of the time style screws are found in notches and go in at a angle especially with dials that have calendar mechanisms  or the dial feet have to be on the very edge as there's no place else to put them with calendar discs etc.

Then somebody else servicing a watch unfortunately skips over things like the dial...But we can also look at his movement pictures and based on the video image above  we can make a wild guess of this is where one of the dial feet screw is. So once you grasp where that one is the other one should be easy to find..

image.png.d4ee0090ad1ac56fddedfcf4881be291.png

https://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-constellation-calibre-564/

Okay I will make a wild guess if you look at where the dial screwed those then you can see the whole look dial foot was into and it has a little bit of a taper so the flick will go in versus having just a straight hole as there's quite a few holes on the plate. So my guess is this is where the other dial foot is  and unfortunately at all the pictures above were looking at the wrong angle we really can't see this

image.png.1c93ceb6078fa6ec5acb08a94fd1d3e8.png

• Like 2

Yeah, it turns out I'm just really stupid and didn't see where the dial screws were. JohnR725 is right about the placement. Luckily I realized this before I started prying on the dial. I feel especially stupid because I have worked on a 564 movement before so I should have known where they were. Oh well, I won't make that mistake again. Thanks for the help everyone.