Hi everyone to be honest a feel like given up watch repair it is complicated with out tutorials have been trying to repair hairsping for a long time now and I can't seem to get the hang of it don't know it something to do with my microscope a don't know have watched most videos to how to repair it but keep making it worse can someone tell me what am doing wrong are there any tutorials courses how to fix on bottom it has the micrope that I'm using 

20231108_235013.jpg

Mark Lovick has a couple of very good instructional videos on YouTube. Look for how to repair a bent / twisted hairspring. Of course, he makes it look easy because of his years of practice, but the techniques work if you understand and apply them, slowly and carefully. After every adjustment, check to see if you made things better or worse.

What is the working distance under your micrscope? It looks too low to get your tweezers between the objective lens and the work surface. You have a ring light fitted, which is good, but no Barlow lens, is that right? You have two different eyepiece lenses fitted. Can you describe what you have there?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murks said:

Hi everyone to be honest a feel like given up watch repair it is complicated with out tutorials have been trying to repair hairsping for a long time now and I can't seem to get the hang of it don't know it something to do with my microscope a don't know have watched most videos to how to repair it but keep making it worse can someone tell me what am doing wrong are there any tutorials courses how to fix on bottom it has the micrope that I'm using 

20231108_235013.jpg

Are you sure your impatience isn't getting the better of you murks. Good hairspring manipulation and the fine motor skills required takes months of practice and years to reach a near perfect skill for someone already gifted. Practice a little maybe 5 or 10 minutes each day with some scrap hairsprings. The last one i had to repair for a watch took me around 4 hours just to make it a round shape again thats without correcting any of the coil spacings or attempting some remaining vertical bends. You may need more space under your scope. You haven't  said how bad the hairspring is or what tweezers you are using, you might be more suited working with particular sets of tweezers. You must have a comfortable working position and be in a relaxed mood, your blood sugar must be stable, how much are your hands and fingers shaking . You need as much stability from your bench as possible,  shoulders down arms, wrists and the sides of the hands  resting on the bench, can you achieve that working on top of your scope's base ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Of course, he makes it look easy because of his years of practice, but the techniques work if you understand and apply them, slowly and carefully. After every adjustment, check to see if you made things better or worse.

This is unfortunate classic problem of watch repair and YouTube. Typically on YouTube whoever's making a video will always make it look easy.

The reality of watch repair is like anything else that requires practice lots of practice. Preferably practicing on things that are disposable not practicing on live watches were problems have occurred.

2 hours ago, Klassiker said:

What is the working distance under your micrscope? It looks too low to get your tweezers between the objective lens and the work surface.

Microscopes are such interesting devices for instance a lot of them look identical. But visually looking the same doesn't mean that they are the same.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

with a microscope it will be difficult to use two tweezers in my opinion, I use a microscope every day for a lot of things but the best thing I like about them is the ability to inspect parts for wear, you might have to invest in a loupe, either one for glasses or wire loupe, a raised up desk too [or lower seat], hairspring work can be difficult even for masters, and then there is replacement parts if obtainable, sometimes a hairspring is beyond repair, don't give up!