Illinois 18S Model 5 Lower Pallet Jewel

Hi All,

I have an old movement that was in some of my uncle's belongings when he passed away. Two of the jewels were broken (lower pallet and lower escape, specifically). These appear to be somewhat odd jewels in that they are encased in a very thin metal ring. I've watched a fair share of video about removing jewels etc. but none of them with this sort of jewel. To compound matters, I can't seem to find replacements for sale. I ordered a couple from Otto Frei based on their catalog, but alas they were far too small to fit into the hole in the movement plate. I purchased a pretty dilapidated movement (model 6) for a few bucks. The jewels in it were sound, but they shattered in removal. I tried pushing one out with peg wood and the other used a horia tool - no luck. Advice on how to deal with this sort of jewel in general and info about where to score replacements are both greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

KenF

Hi Ken,

The jevels in You watch are the old, rolled in type. In You case they are rolled in settings and when needed to be replaced, the entire settings are replaced, no just the jewels. You can see this video to understand what rolled jewel is and how it can be replaced. One first must open the hole, then put the new jewel in and then close the hole above the jewel by rolling.

Edited by nevenbekriev