Fake Seiko?

pent

Watching this non-runner at a good price and got the seller to send me a picture without the back.  It looks like a 4R36A, but when I compare it to other pictures there's a few areas that look suspect to me, circled below.  I can't tell if this is just an older or less refined version of this movement, or if it is a knock-off. 

Most pictures I see of this movement have a bridge over the wheel I circled, where this one has a screw and magic fingers seem more exposed.  The case and dial are very nice and I haven't seen the color combo before, which I like.  I wouldn't be opposed to putting an authentic movement in, but I want to make sure I take that into account for the price.   I included a picture of what most of these movements look like online with a good view of the bridge I think is supposed to be there (circled).

Any ideas from you Seiko experts out there?

image.png.6c313b2450ed3a328af82edbcbfd4da2.pngimage.png.b0a8619d9a133753b7b60019641c01c6.pngimage.png.cdc2e1d1d208837ecf4dff224452ae2a.pngimage.png.935c5b94c27f0a4019096dd3054807ca.png

Compared to images found with a Google search I would suggest the following

It is probably a genuine seiko movement but

1. In the top picture where the righthand red circle is the fixing screw is missing its head

2. It looks like the auto wind bridge is missing.

3. Going by the colours I would suggest it's what's known as a Mumbai Special.

That is if unfamiliar with the term, a watch made up in India from a random selection of parts and the dial is probably a reprint all put in a random case.

Depending on the price I might make a good practice watch or a donor for parts.

So a genuine parts watch with a reprinted dial is my guess

• Like 2

Thanks all.  Based on the potential cost of a new movement, and the fact it's a non-runner, I counteroffered lower and the seller took it.  We'll see what repairs it needs when I get it but I think it will be a nice watch once running.  My first mechanical Seiko!

• Like 3

Good luck.

All I will say is I have bought dozens of Seiko watches and not one of them where a what I call a honest watch, that is one where the case, case back, movement and dial where all from the same original watch with most having a wiff of Turmeric about them 😉

So good luck, hope it all turns out OK for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...