Hello to all. I live in the UK and the cost of purchasing cleaning fluid from abroad is prohibitive. 

I would like to change my cleaning system so that I do not need to remove the balance and pallet forks from my baskets when rinsing.

I have a 3 stage cleaning system using an ultrasonic machine. 

1. Peg wood, fibre brush (if needed)and  lighter fluid.

2 and 3. Isoprol. 

Unfortunately for me on a few occasions I have forgotten to remove the balance and pallet fork from the basket. Shallec knackered.

To alleviated this I would like to purchase a fluid for 2 and 3 in the UK that rinses but does not damage the shellac.

I've priced #3 and it's £50 + postage from America

Can I use this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121858985665?hash=item1c5f5c8ec1:g:fJYAAOSwAC1aBgqS&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABALN0bgGOHmritWwGUejc4MHif0%2BQKZf%2Fsl2BNbySZrj8t3MycTtPCzkpgrNhjl79VhNi4e3z08RslsS1kZLB8vUijFyQ2gEvDX1ZWVLOIvEulbhHFvevCMIcxYGQ7sBpOfVuAZ%2B0YvZPKTvqdQEgrayykIvlb%2F4x3Jj78ohdzxezhdYcuXJPVmC%2BC40gmRg2MU1WQcOAEWGKKYh1ot8udJqtzrp8flJdtY95DgPjnDnAgFJPQ8ARpvC7uDGKl8EqK2j5AgE7ZtuhqbbQ0sCh1VYb0rJ%2FWvFWaFb7uIT83j9L%2Fi5sIzpPG%2BHtJLha5YmhHb2%2BV6h8XnA4tclC2PP8k2c%3D|tkp%3ABFBM_qrfjtFi

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01

9 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

to all. I live in the UK and the cost of purchasing cleaning fluid from abroad is prohibitive

Did you know that you could purchase cleaning fluids in United Kingdom? For instance if you're looking for L&R versus Elma cleaning fluids that will get you really close in the link below. No idea what shipping charges in the UK are. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?searchTerm=L%26R Ultrasonic - Watch

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Did you know that you could purchase cleaning fluids in United Kingdom? For instance if you're looking for L&R versus Elma cleaning fluids that will get you really close in the link below. No idea what shipping charges in the UK are. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?searchTerm=L%26R Ultrasonic - Watch

John. I've told you before about being so intelligent and practical.. It's not often you are wrong, but you are right again. 

Water could be substituted in step 2 for Isoprol (🇺🇸: IPA, IUPAC: propan-2-ol, yes?). You'd still have to maintain diligence with the shellacked parts- a quick dunk in IPA step 3 to displace the water then in to a dryer. (Also assumes water is cheaper than IPA where you are...)

Oh and I can see I need to improve my reading skills as it was something I didn't quite interpret.

If you're going to buy a commercial rinsing product why don't you go all the way and throw in a gallon of commercial cleaning product.  Then procedure would be more or less the same couple minutes with ultrasonic in the cleaning product. Then ideally two separate rinses. Then a quick dip in alcohol as typically the rinse doesn't like to dry by itself. I've never timed at work we use isopropyl alcohol and that is the final rinse and as far as I know we've never had shellac issues. Even at home when I used to clean the watches I never had a shellac problem and I wasn't using isopropyl alcohol I was using an alcohol that one of the uses on the can was it will dissolve shellac. Except all you're using the final alcohol rinse four is to rinse off the rinse so it will dry faster. Or basically dry at all I think they change the formulas to be less volatile and they don't like to draw I sometimes.

6 minutes ago, Malocchio said:

Funny thing, I can order gallons of flammable cleaning fluids from Cousins to Finland but a 10ml bottle of Lubeta V105  is a no go since it's marked as hazardous.

The good thing is you can make your own by mixing 9010 and IPA

Tom

• Like 1

I shall make the declaration I do not have any financial incentive to support this product but if I may speak to the great economy of this product watchmaker/YouTuber Alex Hamilton has investigated...

...with a solution/water/IPA method I believe it cleans at least as well as the traditional products with the added benefit of fresh product every time. No offensive odor. Safe to pour down the sink where I live...

2 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

John. I've told you before about being so intelligent and practical.. It's not often you are wrong, but you are right again. 

Ross, being in the UK, surely Cousins must be the first place you look for all things watch related ?

I use Elma WF Pro cleaner, and Elma Suprol Rinse. I use Elma rather than the L&R cleaners as you can buy them in 2.5L containers = cheaper. They are both about £28+VAT but will probably last you a couple of years. I fill jam jars about a third full, and clean 5 or 6 watches before changing the solutions. Keep the tops on and the smell is minimal.

Follow the advice of @JohnR725 above.

They clean much better than naphtha. I still do a final 30s rinse in IPA. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

One more question. Any one use or know if the EP26R causes any detrimental effect to the shellac?

Not sure about shellac, but I am sure that the Elma solutions don't dissolve it, as they are watch cleaning solutions. If you are cleaning watches, why not go for the solutions especially designed for that job? Then you know they won't cause any damage or leave nasty residues. 

I was surprised how much better they clean than naphtha, and how shiny it leaves the parts.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

Actually having a quick think there are a few of us here from central Scotland, maybe we could buy the wash and rinse then split it so it costs 1/3 or 1/4?

I think you'll find that the reality is you go through the solution so slowly that splitting would really be a good option. In other words if you have a whole gallon you're probably not going to ever use it up in your lifetime.

49 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Any one use or know if the EP26R causes any detrimental effect to the shellac?

Interesting choice to me it looks more like the cleaning fluid for watch cases not for cleaning watch movements. Plus it's water base which I know a lot of people use the water-based watch cleaning fluids but I just don't like water and watches together.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

I think you'll find that the reality is you go through the solution so slowly that splitting would really be a good option. In other words if you have a whole gallon you're probably not going to ever use it up in your lifetime.

I use about 100 ml in each jar and change after 5 watches. So 2.5L will clean about 125 watches 😯

17 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

but I just don't like water and watches together.

Me too. Water and watches are best kept apart.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, Malocchio said:

Funny thing, I can order gallons of flammable cleaning fluids from Cousins to Finland but a 10ml bottle of Lubeta V105  is a no go since it's marked as hazardous.

Update to this. I was able to order V105 via UPS ground. I guess the next step is to buy something I can use it on.

• Haha 1