Greetings!

I'm trying to replace a quartz movement in a Chinese fashion watch for a friend of mine. Thought it would be easy but I can't get the movement and dial out the back of the watch. Looking closely from the back of the watch with the case back off, I can see that the dial is prevented from coming out the back of the watch by a ring inside the case that travels the circumference of the case except for by the crown tube. This ring is part of the case and is not removable. The case also has a subtle front to back taper rendering the case back opening smaller than the dial diameter.

The movement of course is attached to the dial and the dial will not come out the back. So it looks like the dial/movement have to come out the front. But there is no obvious way I can see to go in through the front. Perhaps the mineral crystal can be removed some how? I would very much appreciate some advice. 🙂 Many thanks!

IMG_2563.thumb.jpeg.89ae6b0a3599f3115bff2ee2ef4bf7c6.jpegIMG_2565.thumb.jpeg.754f4b59d02f2042dcb4d823c09cb924.jpegIMG_2564.thumb.jpeg.2e597711887801959a93c6050a9f2497.jpeg

Sometimes you need specialized tools to get the crystal off.

Watch Front Cover Glass Opener Flat Glass /Arch Glass Remover Screw Tool Watch Part Repair Tool Accessory for Watchmaker
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrbeKIw

This is a relatively new tool designed to pull the glass off from the front with double sided tape. I haven't used it personally but it was developed by my mentor's think tank group from China. He has been using it for a few years.

Other times, you do this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1