Hello from a newcomer

radii

Finally took a good look @ what I believe to be my paternal Grandfather's Railroad watch. It's an "Elgin Nat'l. Watch Co." pocket watch, not working, but wearing serial number 4709727. Finding out that there is a much deeper history here than I first thought. Fascinating stuff, & hoping to [eventually] render it operable one of these days.

Nice one Radii I hope you get it going. I attach some information on your watch you might find interesting. All the best...Jules (not sure if it uploaded right but you can find the info on the pocket watch data base online if it didn't) Looks like it was manufactured in 1893.

Elgin Pocket Watch: Serial Number 4709727 (Grade 96).pdf

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Lets give it to the end of this month to get all the votes in, then we can call it?
    • OK, I have created a solution to the above, I have made a fake protonmail account, if you PM me I can send you the password, just click on the contact link and enter your information, this should be as secure as it gets:   Website:     Link Login: email as highlighted in above screenshot WRTArk    @   Proton.    me Password: ..........PM me and I'll let you know   Only intend to use the contacts function, not the email or anything else - we are all grown ups, please act responsibly.
    • I went with 8.90£ because 12th century Italian mathematicians are always excellent topics to bring up when trying to get your guests to go home. 
    • As a beginner, I’ve found this forum invaluable. I doubt I would’ve persevered without its support. I’ve had the confidence to attempt things that seemed to me impossible only because I knew there were patient and giving folks gathered around this watering hole, available to share their skill.    I would very much like to know where to go if this one dries up and everyone needs to decamp.  There’s something special about the folks gathered in this group.  How to keep in touch?  
    • After a 3-week work fiasco that took up 137% of my time, I was finally able to get back to restoring a G. Boley 8mm lathe I picked up on eBay. I still need to do a bit of polishing on the tailstock but it works very nicely. Before and after pictures below. In any case, when I was reassembling the motor I wasn't quite sure which side the pully attached to, or if it matters. My question is ... does it matter? The listing photo below shows it the reverse of how I have it now, but it seemed that the cord and the reversing lever(s) should be on the right away from the belt.