Hour hands in wrong position after battery change

Hi,

would appreciate your help please. I've been changing batteries at home for a couple of years using basic tool kit bought on line. So far had been successful. But things went wrong with my wife's watch.

After putting in the new battery and closing the case, it was immediately clear that the hour hand was misaligned. I've got no idea what I did to cause this, but with a little research, I wonder if I may have touched the copper coil.

The watch still keeps time, there are no other issues wrong with it apart from the hour hand. 

Is there a way to reset the hand please?

The videos I've watched suggest removing the hands and putting them back in the right place, but it's not obvious how I'd access the face as the rear opening is smaller than the front.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I've included photos. 

Many thanks,

Simon

IMG_20230829_185246.jpg

IMG_20230829_185139.jpg

IMG_20230829_185113.jpg

it makes sense but I can't find the cut out anymore. And there's no perceptible join in the case. the case appears to be all one piece.

The cut out appears to be a flat spot imperfection which caught the light

I'm using my case knife to try and feel it but nothing so far and I'm probably starting to scratch the case  

IMG_20230831_184302~2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

thanks for all your advice. It took me a little while to find some time to have a go at removing the bezel. Unfortunately, I failed to find any kind of gap - under magnifying glass, work light, with a sharp marking knife - I just can't detect a gap.

My wife has seen a watch repair shop so that's the next step.

How about removing the strap, thats where the cut out is located in some watch cases for aestetic reason, so to cover the cut out with the strap , as it usually gets scratched easy when its removed.

As Richard said, bezel is to  defnately  come off, since the dial is larger than the back plate.

Rgds

On 8/29/2023 at 10:38 PM, Simon2023 said:

I've got no idea what I did to cause this, 

If you unknowingly loosen screws to the gear bridge, the arbour the hr hand is monunted could have turned.

Edited by Nucejoe