Making a Silk Purse out of a Sows Ear Challenge

There is an old Scottish saying that:

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

Meaning that you can’t create a fine product from inferior materials. However, and just for a bit of fun, I would like to challenge all of you to show your before and after shots of the worst condition watch (swo's ear) that you have taken to a beautifully restored working watch (silk purse), and/or a current or most recent project you are working on that would qualify.

image.thumb.png.33331884b4c8b745747babaa10733eb1.png

To kick things off, here is my best example (to date).

IMG_20221126_124909.thumb.jpg.577f6738daceacc22c7d920912c92a8c.jpg

IMG_20221126_125024.thumb.jpg.e71f5c8bd80d384aa047d4ed2f2c5d9a.jpg

4db00f84-84ec-4443-9102-c633f2e80578.thumb.jpg.88b2ab183133a2319e1ac4ef842beac5.jpg

OK, your turn.....

Edited by Waggy
Typo
  • Like 4

ooooh- challenge accepted! Though I will place myself in the running for a participant trophy only and not part of the competition since I don't do case work, you folks are far better at me sourcing 404s and the vast majority of my achievements are making non runners slightly cleaner timekeeping runners. A couple of candidates...

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0493.jpeg

...I will say however you have much work ahead as I have recently observed the work of an elderly Chinese gentleman who pulled a badly damaged Rolex from the mud of the Yangtze and using only a terry cloth towel, a rat tail file and whatever the Mandarin word for elbow grease is, transformed that mess into a gem worthy of Watches of Knightsbridge. 🤪 I wish you all bon chance... 

Edited by rehajm
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rehajm said:

you have much work ahead as I have recently observed the work of an elderly Chinese gentleman who pulled a badly damaged Rolex from the mud of the Yangtze and using only a terry cloth towel, a rat tail file and whatever the Mandarin word for elbow grease is, transform that mess into a gem worthy of Watches of Knightsbridge

ha ha if only we could live up to his standard and learn from his teachings

7 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Look it up.

10-4, or you could just tell me. Did you see the one where they took a foam head, like from a wig, and sent it down into the Mariana trench? That thing came back intact, and perfectly shaped, but miniature! 😲

About this sort-of-contest, @Waggy, I assume they have to run when done, not just look great? I have options either way.