Just one last question before I might waste money...

3rd times the charm, right?

Hey guys, I have been on the quest for some reasonably priced mainspring winders for a month or 2 now. So far, I have learned I can't afford a Bergeon set and my last Ebay auction I was considering went up to $250, too high for my liking right now. But, there is still hope! These mainspring winders below are on Ebay for $150, within my budget, and look to be in good condition. My only 2 questions I care about are, how do they work and are they complete? I want to be 100% sure about these before buying.

Screenshot_20230730_190628_Gallery.jpg.4b701f77d1e3f607f8e784007791b39f.jpg

Screenshot_20230730_190649_Gallery.jpg.1fbf344c0a932937e3cb480c63d4f59c.jpg

Also, I found a catalogue with the "Federwinder" model with the same metal base

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b763b8a9ec98d2d2a82894c33e2dd9d5.jpg

And finally, an old listing I found with a picture of the arbors/handles out

kleinuhren-federwinder-set-rudolf-flume.jpeg.58e865e7e5465be3dcae1425112a7496.jpeg

My only guess is that the arbors wind the mainspring into the according circle in the base, then there is a spring-loaded pusher that pushes the mainspring out? 

Thank you for any help!

I don't think there is any mainspring winder set that will be able to fit all the watches you'll will work on in your lifetime. Either the barrel size is wrong, the arbor size is wrong or the winding direction is wrong.

I have already accumulated 5 different sets, from very small ones for ladies watches, to very big ones for pocket watches. But every once in awhile, there will be some odd sized mainspring that just won't fit any of them.

So my advice is if you are serious about watch repair, just jump right in and throw your paycheck into the black hole that is horology. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I don't think there is any mainspring winder set that will be able to fit all the watches you'll will work on in your lifetime. Either the barrel size is wrong, the arbor size is wrong or the winding direction is wrong.

I have already accumulated 5 different sets, from very small ones for ladies watches, to very big ones for pocket watches. But every once in awhile, there will be some odd sized mainspring that just won't fit any of them.

So my advice is if you are serious about watch repair, just jump right in and throw your paycheck into the black hole that is horology. 🤣

Lol, so true Hector. I earn good money but my bank account seems have steadily dropped since i started. 

52 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Lol, so true Hector. I earn good money but my bank account seems have steadily dropped since i started. 

I am in the same boat..... just when i think "that's it... I dont need anything else for a good while" someone on here posts about a new tool or gizmo that they have that then become my new must have fix...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lotus said:

3rd times the charm, right?

Hey guys, I have been on the quest for some reasonably priced mainspring winders for a month or 2 now. So far, I have learned I can't afford a Bergeon set and my last Ebay auction I was considering went up to $250, too high for my liking right now. But, there is still hope! These mainspring winders below are on Ebay for $150, within my budget, and look to be in good condition. My only 2 questions I care about are, how do they work and are they complete? I want to be 100% sure about these before buying.

Screenshot_20230730_190628_Gallery.jpg.4b701f77d1e3f607f8e784007791b39f.jpg

Screenshot_20230730_190649_Gallery.jpg.1fbf344c0a932937e3cb480c63d4f59c.jpg

Also, I found a catalogue with the "Federwinder" model with the same metal base

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b763b8a9ec98d2d2a82894c33e2dd9d5.jpg

And finally, an old listing I found with a picture of the arbors/handles out

kleinuhren-federwinder-set-rudolf-flume.jpeg.58e865e7e5465be3dcae1425112a7496.jpeg

My only guess is that the arbors wind the mainspring into the according circle in the base, then there is a spring-loaded pusher that pushes the mainspring out? 

Thank you for any help!

With Hector on this one, i have 3 sets and 6 adjustable ones. You just can't have too many. But what you have here is a starting point, if the price is ok then go for it. You will add to it anyway no matter what you buy. Thats just the nature of the beast. Its about being patient and buying wisely. 

4 minutes ago, Waggy said:

ha ha is that the one with the self sealing stem bolts or the one with the Jhonson Rods

Not even going there, that sounds way too kinky for me lol. Just thought I'd mention the expensive one i posted on Saturday, I'm sure you'll need it soon. Yeah we all know it don't we Rich is a real ass 🤣

• Thanks 1