Really Stuck Waterproof Case Back

Now that we've seen the watch it's almost certainly a screw back. What you really need is a high quality bench mounted opener to attack it with. It might be a good idea to source a watchmaker with one and get it opened safely if you are not wanting to try the glued nut method.

It had a LOT of light scratches on the back when I bought it, those I can get out once the back is off, I'm not too concerned about those.  But, I tried the superglued nut method TWICE, and both times the nut just popped right off. Yesterday on my lunch break I took the watch over to my repair guy that I've always gone to, and he couldn't get it off either.  He said, "It's like it's glued on." Thanks for the suggestion Geo, at this point I think I've pretty well run out of options, I'll do some calling around, I know there's several shops around by my work. 

And, I believe the mystery of why it's not coming off has been solved.  It's still stuck, but I think we found out why.  I brought it to another shop today, and we believe whoever last opened the back cross threaded it... Which explains why it's not even budging.  Like you said Geo, time to source someone with a bench mounted opener.

By the look of the watch case more then one person has had fun getting the back off. Has someone had a go with hammer and chisel.

Hello all,

First post here. I recently acquired a mid 70s Seiko for parts (I spent more for the parts watch than a complete runner was worth, sentimental reasons and all). Anyways, I tried the rubber ball (I always start with that one) then the wench with no success. I then tried superglue with much doubt , it ended as I suspected I would. So I waited a few days and finally gave in to temptation. I put the watch in a case holder and into the vise it went , out came the hammer and chisel. One small tap in a slot for the wrench was all it took and didn't even leave a mark. First time I've had to use a hammer on a watch.

Also , once I had it open and looking on the inside of the case back there were no marks to indicate that it had even been opened.

• Like 1

Hello all,

First post here. I recently acquired a mid 70s Seiko for parts (I spent more for the parts watch than a complete runner was worth, sentimental reasons and all). Anyways, I tried the rubber ball (I always start with that one) then the wench with no success. I then tried superglue with much doubt , it ended as I suspected I would. So I waited a few days and finally gave in to temptation. I put the watch in a case holder and into the vise it went , out came the hammer and chisel. One small tap in a slot for the wrench was all it took and didn't even leave a mark. First time I've had to use a hammer on a watch.

Also , once I had it open and looking on the inside of the case back there were no marks to indicate that it had even been opened.

You where lucky but if all else fails and it,s your watch then go for it.

I must say since I purchased the Horotec "universal case opener" no case no matter how tight has caused an issue. However it was £240 + you can buy separate dies for Rolex etc. but as a one off purchase it should last a life time.