Bartering clock repair...lol

My garage door busted and it is so damn hot here in Texas, I decided to pay someone to fix it.  I know I could fix it myself, but at 100F...nope.

Anyway, the company I called is a family business (brothers).  The estimator came out this morning.  He had a prosthetic leg and missing an arm.  (guessing combat) He looked at the door and said it was simple...he would fix it at no charge.  As he was fixing it he ran into a problem that needed another brother and the service would be $139.  Meanwhile, I was trying to find one of the rollers that "plinged" away.  I told him, that it was like looking for a "plinged" watch part on the floor.  Then I told him I was an amateur horologist.  His eyes brightened up!  He showed me a picture of a clock on his phone and asked if I could fix it.  YES.  So he said the service would be free if I fixed his clock.  That was a no-brainer.  I'll trade working in the heat for working in the cool!!  Yeah...I can dig that.

The brothers arrived an hour later and the garage door is fixed.

He will bring the clock next week.

He said that it is slow...like real slow.  I figure there is a stripped gear in the movement.  It most likely runs off a synchronous motor (Telechron, Sangamo, or one of the others).  It will be an interesting repair.  The guy absolutely loves this thing.  I said I would come get it today but he said that he is having a party this weekend and the clock must be in place for the party.  OK...whatever.

image.png.b39008903b475fd734dc34ae3d2d73c5.png

• Like 2

One of my buddies paid for his watch repairs with another watch.  I decided to go for it.  I cleaned his Bulova and Benrus, and he gave me a vintage 21-jewel Timex.  It was in good shape, and he was a friend so I did the deal.

I've also accepted Pizza, tailoring,  and a shoebox full of watch parts and tools.  I'm flexible.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2023 at 8:32 AM, markr said:

I got deer meat last week.

Ooooohohoho.  Venison!  I have not cooked with venison in so long.  I have also not been hunting in a while either.  But my day job has been slow and my budget has been tight lately; I think it is a good excuse to join up with a couple of my friends and go hunting again soon.
I don't yet know any hunting buddies with a watch who would trade service for game meat.  So I will need to go and kill my own. 

• Like 1