Increasing endshake, pivot length or jewel depth

Eyup watch peeps, i hope you are all well. Quick question for discussion, I'm  back to repairing an AHS 43 after a break from it doing my head in, one problem after another. Getting down today to sorting the balance after a new staff was fitted some time ago. This movement also had the balance end piece missing that i have now scrounged from a pile of watch parts. I have no endshake on the balance which is due to either a slightly overlength pivot from the new old stock staff or the end piece jewel being set too far into its plate ( it is from something else ). Checking with the pallet fork the balance does look to be too high, loads of height clearance between the impulse pin and the fork notch and the guide pin is sat low with the safety roller. I see i have a few options 1. Shim the balance end piece ( seems bodgy )  2. Reduce the balance bottom pivot ( not too happy about doing that just yet, if i fluff the filing and burnishing of the pivot end then i have to re staff it again. ) 3. Alter the depth of the endpiece jewel ( this sounds the best solution and is more than likely the actual problem considering it was taken from something else. After saying all that I'm assuming the jewel can be repositioned.  TIA.

22 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I watched a video where the jewel was repositioned, I think this is the correct route.  Someone with more experience will tell you soon. 

Thanks for the reply Rich. Happy doing it with plate bearings and jewels , wasnt too sure about an endpiece. But i expected it to move just the same and it has. 

• Like 1

Eyup  N.E.W s.    that is a pain on bench.

I am not sure if the setting in cock side is moveable, lower one seems to have some leeway, if adjusting the setting suffices  !   thats best approach for sure, otherwise you probably have no choice but to shorten the lower pivot. 

Rgds

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I am not sure if the setting in cock side is moveable, lower one seems to have some leeway, if adjusting the setting suffices  !   thats best approach for sure, otherwise you probably have no choice but to shorten the lower pivot. 

Rgds

Thanks Joe. It was the bottom endpiece of the balance taken from a spare part of god know what. It was tight to move the jewel  not like a plate bearing,but it did move , i thought i heard my jewelling tool groan.  All sorted and endshake is good now, i think I'm about there with fixing problems. A trial run to see if it will take then it will get cleaned and lubed up.

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Rgds

👍 not as much give as a mainplate jewel the endpieces are only a thin plate. But still enough to adjust for a couple of hundredths either way. The offending endpiece shown here, not actually offending as the spare part got me out of a fix.

20230618_153838.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1