Hi All

A couple of weeks ago I was trawling through an old curiosity shop near me and I noticed about three old movements in a draw of old bits and pieces.  I picked one of the three and paid a small amount for it - just for the fun of fiddling with it.  I had no idea what it was or whether it would work.  The balance moved freely - thats about it.  So I disassembled and cleaned it.  The only issue - of my doing - was that the balance cock has two male locating posts which were a fairly snug fit, and in the process of prising it off , the balance cock flipped over tangling the balance spring. I chased the twist down the spring (should have gone up) but it is now mis-shapen beyond my skill level. Everything else is assembled and moves freely, so I am a little annoyed with myself as it would have likely been the perfect restoration were it not for my ineptitude (OK, early skill level).

I now know that the movement is an AS324 (A.Schildt) circa 1925. Non-shock.

I would love to find another or a balance just to prove (almost) that I could finish it.  Any thoughts?

Cheers Jon

Common wrong approach even by pros is how you proceeded detaching cock-balance assembly. 

Best to loosen cock screw , not entirely and not remove it, then pry the cock to loosen/ disengage  it from the locating pins. 

Under the remarks subtitle, Dr ranfft list many calibers which practicaly are the same as AS324, the balance complete of any  fits your watch.

Good luck pal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Common wrong approach even by pros is how you proceeded detaching cock-balance assembly. 

Best to loosen cock screw , not entirely and not remove it, then pry the cock to loosen/ disengage  it from the locating pins.

Excellent advice!  Thank you.  I shall also check out the other calibers.