Hi guys,

I'm working on a size 12 elgin, 15 jewel, ser. 29781224 pw.  it runs but very poorly.  the pics show the third wheel jewel in the bottom plate from the top and from underneath.  i've replaced a couple of jewels that could be pushed out after removing the screws.  i'm not sure if this jewel is what is called "burnished in" or "friction fit" and whether those are two terms for the same thing.  I watched JD's video showing how to burnish in the jewel.  i have a staking set but i do not have the various tools that lucky guy used to remove/install the old/new jewel.  Can someone confirm/correct the terminology and let me know if this procedure can be done with a staking set or other more common tools.  If not, this one will go on the list of watches to repair another day.  Thank you, Arron.  

119 elgin jewel 2.JPG

119 elgin jewel.JPG

51 minutes ago, arron said:

i'm not sure if this jewel is what is called "burnished in" or "friction fit" and whether those are two terms for the same thing. 

Wishful thinking if they're the same thing the most definitely not the same thing unfortunately.

53 minutes ago, arron said:

i have a staking set but i do not have the various tools that lucky guy used to remove/install the old/new jewel.  Can someone confirm/correct the terminology and let me know if this procedure can be done with a staking set or other more common tools.  If not, this one will go on the list of watches to repair another day. 

Looks like this will be a simple answer for make as I don't have to answer the question now you're going to put the watch a way problem solved for all of us.

But while were here just for the future. Let's look at what the difference is an procedural things for replacing jewels. Plus I've attached a PDF for you you might find it helpful and a link that talks about your watch If were going to look up parts.

Let's start off with jewels the upper one is burnished in. In other words is held in by friction ring metal in this case on the bottom of the image against the jewel itself. The burnished in jewel ideally needs to be a special shape in other words it has to have rounded edges. Sometimes people will burnished in the normal jewel but it's really not the best thing to do.

Then the second picture On the bottom is a friction in jewel. The notice the size the jewel are square and flat smooth and its cable bill being pushed in this is why attached the PDF this is the tool you need to do this.

The problem today is the fine jewels for burnishing in although there is a way of modifying existing modern jewels but that requires a lathe which you don't have either so we won't worry about that.

image.png.21cc96c76a27f00db592004a898ff497.png

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/29781224

Seitz book.pdf

• Like 2

Thanks John for that pdf; it should come in handy someday when i get that tool.  That's a good clear description of the difference between friction fit and burnished.  I can't tell which one i have, can you tell from the pictures?  After looking at my second picture again, i'm thinking maybe it's burnished because it looks like there is metal over the top of the circumference of the jewel; but i could be wrong????

37 minutes ago, arron said:

burnished

Typically with the is if it's in a setting the setting would have screws. Some settings didn't have screws but typically they did. So this would be a burnished in setting. If we had a time machine you could go back in time and possibly get replacement jewels.

Than the link I gave you up above that gives you specifications the watch also has parts. Elgin seems too much better for parts and other companies a lot of times with Waltham ill say come back later the parts isn't here and of course there nevertheless the parts you read but a better site for looking up parts is the one below. The problem is it doesn't have a picture to tell you whether it's a jewel in a setting or just the jewel but I'm like positive it's a burnished in jewel that would've been the most common until a certain point in time and then they could start doing other things

http://www.elginwatchparts.com/