First chronograph: 1972 Seiko 6139-6012

Question: the cracked lower jewel OD is 1.60mm, and the arbor measures 0.987mm in diameter.

So it looks like I'd want a 1.00x1.60mm jewel, but I can't find anything like that listed anywhere.

Other than buying it from the Australian seller on eBay, anyone know of another source?

I could ream the hole out larger, but then I might as well just buy the eBay one.

2 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Question: the cracked lower jewel OD is 1.60mm, and the arbor measures 0.987mm in diameter.

So it looks like I'd want a 1.00x1.60mm jewel, but I can't find anything like that listed anywhere.

Other than buying it from the Australian seller on eBay, anyone know of another source?

I could ream the hole out larger, but then I might as well just buy the eBay one.

I think someone tried ja jewel with 1.00mm ID and it was too big. 0.98mm might be correct but a Seitz jewel in that size is obsolete. VTA jewel is probably the only option. Spencer Klein was supposed to sell those too but they haven't been available yet. As for the gasket, it seems to be the very basic that Seiko uses http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=SEK_CS^6139-6012

I bought a gasket set for a Pogue from VTA but you can probably find that gasket cheap from the US. I use Cousins UK.

1 hour ago, Malocchio said:

VTA jewel is probably the only option

I've come to the same conclusion. Ah, well.

1 hour ago, Malocchio said:

I bought a gasket set for a Pogue from VTA but you can probably find that gasket cheap from the US. I use Cousins UK.

That's what I've been doing. Cousins has the pusher gaskets for £2 for a 10-pack. The cheapest I've seen stateside for those same gaskets is $10 each. Plus shipping.

I'm going to order a few gasket assortments from Cousins, pay international shipping, and still save money. I need a few other things from them anyway, so it'll work out just fine.

6 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

There is a US based eBay seller that also sells the jewel upgrades for those movements - sunset2go - https://www.ebay.com/usr/sunset2go

I've even bought the chrono bridge jewel upgrades from them.  I haven't seen where anyone else had those.  I had a 6138 with a missing upper minute recording wheel bearing, so the jewel upgrade kit worked like a charm.  They are a solid seller of Seiko parts and gaskets.  Never had an issue with them.  I like VTA as well, but it just takes so long to get them shipped from AU to USA.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, thor447 said:

There is a US based eBay seller that also sells the jewel upgrades for those movements - sunset2go - https://www.ebay.com/usr/sunset2go

Thank you, I will definitely check that out!

I put the automatic works back on and it's clanking around in there. Looks like I'm going to need to replace the bearing, too. Argh!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Thank you, I will definitely check that out!

I put the automatic works back on and it's clanking around in there. Looks like I'm going to need to replace the bearing, too. Argh!

Here's a direct link to the chrono bridge jewel upgrade:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195602019941?hash=item2d8ac9f665:g:fu4AAOSwuQ5jg-cr

It comes with jewels for both the minute recording wheel and the intermediate minute recording wheel.   They worked like a charm on my 6139-6005.  It took a bit to get the end shake adjusted correctly for the minute recording wheel after installation, but it has been running like a champ since the upgrade.

Edited by thor447
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Okay, before I ruin this really nice bracelet, are these push out pins?

I thought they were screw-out at first, but upon closer inspection, those are not screw heads at all.

Here are the two sides:

0002.thumb.jpg.0c7bab934bd1e05a5a90789f19ed7ac5.jpg3png.thumb.jpg.57cda55f2ce675fc98bba74298e9e55e.jpg

Those are push pins.  Push on the end in the bottom picture.  The end that looks like a screw slot is wider and will not go all the way through the bracelet.

• Thanks 1