Balance Wheel Issues

I am working on a 1912 Watham Pocket Watch, When I try and start the watch, the balance wheel will not move. It moves a slight amount, but not nearly what it is supposed to. It makes a slight scraping sound and it looks like there isn't much (if any) clearance between the wheel and the rest of the movement. This happens when the balance plate (the piece of metal that the balance wheel and hairspring are secured to). 

When the balance plate is unscrewed, it works a little better. When I placed a slight spacer (piece of brown paper) between the balance plate and the movement, the balance wheel and pallet fork tick normally about 3-4 times and then stop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Goldentalon34, the part you are calling a plate is properly called a cock (even by its friends). It attaches to a plate.

Two major possibilities come to mind. One is that the balance wheel is not set "in beat." If a balance wheel is properly aligned, then when the watch has no power coming from the mainspring, the pallet fork will be in mid-point of its available range of motion. If a watch is badly out of beat, the pallet fork will be pushed to one side.

Another possibility is that the pivots of your balance arbor are bent or worn.

I suppose that a roller table jewel not fitting into the fork of the pallet could also give you this problem.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I will weigh in with advice. My advice is given sincerely but without expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need a staking set to replace the balance staff. To get the correct part, you'll have to find out the caliber of the movement and also the measurement of the staff. Recommended site to find the replacement staff is www.balancestaff.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk