Sourcing parts to put a watch together for my wife

I’d really like to put together a movement, dial, case, etc for my wife for her birthday this fall.  I came to this sub forum thinking it would be easy, to do, but it doesn’t look like that.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?  I’d to make her something that is in the mid 30mm range so she can see the numerals (she doesn’t like the extra tiny ladies watches).  

Does anyone make generic dials or cases as that seems like the hardest thing to source?

There is much to consider when assembling a watch from assorted, generic, or aftermarket parts.  
- People who do watch "modding" can tell you where to get unlabeled dials.  If the dial is the first consideration, then you will next need to consider where the dial feet are, because only certain watch movements will use those dial feet locations.
- You would then need to locate a case, matching your wife's desires in design, wherein the dial and movement will fit precisely.  There should be no slop around the dial; it should nestle into position just right.  You may still need a plastic movement holder ring to support and center the movement in the case.  This case should be of a size where the hole for the stem should line up with the stem hole in the movement.  If the movement is too thick for the case, or too thin, the stem will not line up.  Setting time (and winding, if mechanical) will be difficult and stiff and the stem will later break.  Also, if the movement is too thick for the case, the case back will not go on.
Much to think about.  No doubt others will help out here soon.

• Like 1

I have built a few based on seiko movements, this is a 36mm explorer style case and sterile dial. The other dial is one of a matching pair to build watches for my daughter and son-in-law using the same style case, one  36mm and one 39mm. I buy the nh38 movements from cousinsuk, you being in the US I would source from one of your material houses. I have a nh35 build that I got the movement from China and it just doesn’t seem to be quite as good as the ones from cousinsuk. Hard to believe these inexpensive movements are indeed being copied in China but they are. The links below, the first one is a Chinese seller that I have used several times and the quality of parts is decent and decent variety of dials, the second is based in Switzerland selling Swiss movements and cases with quite a variety including quartz.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/junesnow057?_trkparms=folent%3Ajunesnow057|folenttp%3A1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l74602

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/swissmadetime?_trkparms=folent%3Aswissmadetime|folenttp%3A1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l74602

most of the modding sites are seiko based and biased towards dive watches, it took me a while to find these sellers that I was happy with the service and quality.

hope this helps

Tom

D05FC693-0262-4566-B2A6-7FAA357EA5BC.jpeg

DCA0BD8E-DFF6-4121-82F7-4224CC1B9607.jpeg

Thanks @tomh207, that helps.  I have had a heck of a time finding anything but mens style (and dive watches as you mention).  You mentioned a his and hers one... do you have a link for that and what the whole watch would look like (not just the one dial).

@kd8tzci very much doubt you will ever see parts for ladies watches. It is considered a limited market for custom builds, apparently watch collectors/modders/builders are predominantly male. The watch I put above is 36mm and I am putting together that case, different strap, different hands with the red dial for my daughter. The same but with a 39mm case for the sil.

Edited to add:

the second link I provided has possibly the closest to a ladies watch kit, the elegance range of kits, you still have to provide a movement but they give several options from ETA through Sellita to STP & Soprod, there may be sea-gull Chinese equivalents to these that should fit as well. I haven’t built these watches as yet, too many other projects dragging me away for the moment, I’ll see if I can get a chance to do them either this week or next and post photos here.

Tom

Edited by tomh207