Key Wind Pocket Watch Won't Stay Wound

I recently acquired an old Swiss key wind pocket watch (G. Juvet Locle), and it won't hold a wind. When I use the key to turn the barrel, I don't hear the click, and it seems that the click doesn't hold the barrel. I have worked on several later model (non-key wind) pocket watches, but this is the first key wind, and I'm not familiar with the setup of the barrel and click. I've attached some pictures, and wonder if someone might take a look and see whether the click spring looks broken, or if there is something missing from the bottom of the barrel. I came across a picture of a similar barrel on the forum, and I think there may be a five-sided gear and screw missing from the bottom of the barrel (the last pic is one I found on a different forum post that seems like it may be the missing gear from the bottom). 

Thoughts?

PXL_20230423_024355753.jpg

PXL_20230423_031403304.jpg

PXL_20230423_031352315.jpg

DSC01719.JPG.ab12b3bf746b69a6d2c886d07872ba3b.jpg

Following.  I've had to work on key-winders too.

I've been looking closely at that picture and, even though it is rather inconclusive, I'd still say there could be some wear; maybe on the ratchet teeth as well.  But that is speculation right now, I think.
However, first, I would advise clean it all up spotlessly, inspect each part with a loupe or similar, put all the winding train back together and oil the requisite parts, and then try it and see how it works.  Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll just have a clump of old dirt binding the click and keeping it from engaging fully.  Maybe just a burr causing drag.  Maybe something simple and easy.
Even if not, it is always easier to diagnose clean parts.  I'm curious now to see what the problem will turn out to be.  Good luck there!

Thank you both for your replies! The Geneva stop-work is so awesome, and I am consistently amazed at the ingenuity shown at such a minute level. And after reading several opinions, it looks like the watch will run just fine without the stop-work, so one less part to source.

I was able to run the watch through a cleaning cycle this afternoon and partially reassemble it and that did indeed make it much easier to see what was going on. It appears there are multiple issues with the click mechanism. As you can see from the pics, the ratchet wheel looks worn and is even missing a tooth or two near the click. I think I can still make it work with 23 out of 25 teeth working (this is just a personal project watch at this point).

Additionally, the click spring didn't want to hold the click against the ratchet wheel and when I attempted to move it slightly to test its springiness (is that a word?), it cracked. You can see in the pic with the oiler pointing at the hairline crack, and after I pushed it slightly, it came completely apart. I plan to attempt to fashion a replacement spring with stiff piano wire and see if it will work. 

PXL_20230423_210102918.jpg

PXL_20230423_210050892.jpg

PXL_20230423_210227437.jpg

PXL_20230423_210413050.jpg

Edited by mdimbler

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up fashioning a replacement spring (see pic) which seems to be working well. It ran fine all night. I used piano wire (0.02"), and it took three attempts at shaping and cutting it down, but I finally got it. We shall see how long it holds up!

PXL_20230508_045108965.jpg

• Like 2