Hey everyone,

I’m currently working on a Felsa 690 movement and I am ready to put this thing back together.  I am a bit confused on the breaking spring.  

my online search has given me some conflicting info.  Some say if I get a new mainspring (which I did) then I do t need the breaking spring while others say I do need.  I don’t see why I would t use it again.  

since I got a new spring I only have one shot to install this thing correctly.  I’m trying to find a drawing of which way to install the break spring.  

appreciate any help from you all. 

80C47F03-E452-4429-B402-840340F0599C.jpeg

26E7C7F2-AE60-4F4A-9B67-E6FDA7013A64.jpeg

I should add that there is no separate arbor and the mainspring cover acts as a ratchet wheel as well.  This is an automatic bidynator movement.  I have the technical sheet for the movement but it does not go into detail on the main spring.  My google search continues…..

EB2E9511-3F98-44A4-BD3D-2145A685A097.jpeg

A1053F66-755B-48D5-A536-B99D784CECC5.jpeg

D7723D1E-971E-40FD-B77D-9139CFEBD955.jpeg

I should add that there is no separate arbor and the mainspring cover acts as a ratchet wheel as well.  This is an automatic bidynator movement.  I have the technical sheet for the movement but it does not go into detail on the main spring.  My google search continues…..

Looks like I should have been searching on this site.  Figured I’d post this link here for anyone searching in the future.  

9 hours ago, Mike78 said:

then I do t need the breaking spring while others say I do need.  I don’t see why I would t use it again.  

on early automatic watches the outer breaking spring was separate. Then with newer mainsprings the breaking spring is attached. So providing you ordered a mainspring for an automatic watch than that is all you need. otherwise if you have a standard mainspring you'll need to use the original outer spring and don't forget you need special breaking grease for the barrel.

6 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

So providing you ordered a mainspring for an automatic watch than that is all you need. otherwise if you have a standard mainspring you'll need to use the original outer spring and don't forget you need special breaking grease for the barrel.

Thanks John.  I'm following up with the supplier to see what spring I got.  I just asked for a main spring for a Felsa 690 movement.  I do have the proper grease.  If I do need to use the breaking spring then I'm guessing I need to grease the barrel wall, install the spring and then grease the inside of the breaking spring since there is friction on both sides?  Unless the breaking doesn't move then I would just need to do the inside of the spring.  Am I correct in my thinking here?

I was going to say before you discover you get the right spring was a lot of times if you look at sealed package you have a number and we can look at the number and see what spring you got. Then you only need the breaking grease on the outer wall between the bridal either the separate one or the attached one and the barrel you don't need at any place else although you could use a separate grease on the mainspring itself some people do that.