ETA 2896 disassembly/assembly pictures

2 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Hopefully, you'll be helped by ETA's Technical Documents for this calibre which you'll find here: https://shopb2b.eta.ch/en/mecaline/phased-out/2896-2896-5.html

Many thanks for the link technical document on ETA 2896. I already have a copy but I am struggling to follow some of the instructions on page 28 (snapshot attached).

The background is that I wanted to replace the crown (broken off) on my ETA 2896 based watch and I managed to knock out the setting level out of position in the process of taking the stem out (pressed the setting lever pin a bit too hard and knocked it out of position). The stem is now stuck (when inserted back first time).

I am a watch hobbyist and have worked on some Chinese movements in the past so I think I know what I need to do in order to put the setting lever back in place. I do not want to start the disassembly until I have understood all what is required.  

I would be grateful if I can get some help with the following instructions on page -28 in your linked document:

"Position the cam support 41 after the missing tooth (*see drawing fig. 2) by turning the winding stem clockwise"

Which "missing tooth" is being referred to?

Secondly in the instructions "Push the positioning spring of the tens jumper (49) towards the centre (**see drawing fig. 2)."

What is the purpose of pushing the tens jumper (49) towards the centre? Is it going to lock somewhere (I am afraid, I cannot see an obvious locking point)?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Date disc assebly instructions..JPG

Edited by k3l3k

4 hours ago, k3l3k said:

I do not want to start the disassembly until I have understood all what is required.  

I'm afraid I don't understand the instructions either and I've never worked on this calibre. I think disassembling the keyless works (slowly and methodically taking pictures of every step) should help you understand how to reassemble it.

24 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I'm afraid I don't understand the instructions either and I've never worked on this calibre. I think disassembling the keyless works (slowly and methodically taking pictures of every step) should help you understand how to reassemble it.

Thanks for the guidance. I can start the disassembly and take detailed pictures but worry that I will get stuck assembly. The watchmaker in this video decided to skip video the dial side assembly for ETA 2896 (perhaps for a good reason 🙂https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKZLBB39ndQ

Edited by k3l3k

On 4/20/2023 at 3:10 PM, VWatchie said:

First pass done. Got everything to work except the quick date change is unfortunately not working. Gives incorrect date on winding at second stem position (e.g. goes to 0,0 which never showed up before). I think it is critical to understand what the instructions are page -28. Any help would be appricated. 

Edited by k3l3k

On 4/22/2023 at 12:26 AM, k3l3k said:

First pass done. Got everything to work except the quick date change is unfortunately not working. Gives incorrect date on winding at second stem position (e.g. goes to 0,0 which never showed up before). I think it is critical to understand what the instructions are page -28. Any help would be appricated. 

image.thumb.png.7f92c4932b9050bf59868b1bccb0ca1f.png

This should help others who have trouble like I had. The instructions are from Omega cal. 2610 (ETA 2896). The cam support needs to be rotated clockwise to bring its missing tooth at the position shown🙂

Edited by k3l3k
  • Like 1