Citizen Glass

Hi all,

I've offered to replace the glass in my neighbours watch and hope to double check with you all first.

The watch is a Citizen E811-S001617, the glass is rectangular and my question is, do any of you know if this is just a straight friction fit or will it require cement?

If it was my watch I'd just pop the glass out and see, but as its somebody else's I don't want to be stuck with it in pieces whilst I order up the cement if its required

post-1085-0-74512700-1438262615_thumb.jp

here is a webpage that shows the same model watch http://timerecs.com/inf/43857-citizen_eco_drive_perpetual_calendar_chronograph_alarm_wr_100_blue_e811_s001617.html

Thanks

Sean

Edited by seang

I haven't done one, but if it's a friction fit there will probably be a gasket that is "L" shaped in section. If there is no gasket, I would imagine that it will be cemented in.

Hopefully someone on the forum has replaced one and can enlighten us.

Thanks Geo,

There is a gasket, you can just sort of make it out as a lip in the photo above. I have two gaskets now as the glass came with the one in the photo already fitted...

It isn't L-shaped though, just flat

Edited by seang

• 1 month later...

A couple of delays, but the job is done.

The answer to the original question, the crystal is friction fit into a gasket.

And the delays? All my crystal press  inserts are round, so I made some square ones out of poly-rod on my milling machine.

My crystal press in one of those cheepie jobs from ebay, it don't think its a proper  crystal press even, just a case closer press, anyhow, its cheep, its not very good but its been fine so far on round crystals, but rectangular crystals seem to be less forgiving and need to kept as straight as possible. Long story short, I chewed up two gaskets trying to get the crystal in, in was high one side every time.

So I ordered a couple of new gaskets (Cousins, usual exclaimer) and used my sensitive drill as a press instead, then, with careful positioning and smooth pressure the crystal bedded down nice and level, phew!

post-1085-0-67330000-1441364241_thumb.jp