Just Joined And A Question

Hi, I am glad to be a part of this forum. I have watched Mark for quite awhile. As a novice, I have learned so much from the videos. Thank you Mark. I picked up a Swiss key wound/set pocket watch and am looking for help on how to remove the movement so I can work on the case. It looks like it 1900 vintage . I do see a case screw down by the balance but I'm not sure if that would be the only one. Its by the arrow in the picture. The crown and stem is missing, but does not go past the rim of the case anyway. Thanks for any help in advance2b9bfdb6239aa92676b138c621593181.jpg

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jim and welcome.

The watch is key wound and set, as you say, so there's no winding crown and stem as such - but the bow is indeed missing from the fixed crown.

Most of the pocket watches I have are younger in age, so the movement is taken out in a different way from yours. In some watches I've had, the movement swings out from the case - near the spring catch - and the centre rod of the hinge pushes out to release the movement completely. In others, there's a case screw or screws. I'm not able to tell what's what for your watch, but I don't doubt someone on the forum will know!

Welcome on board Jim. I think the movement will have to remove the bezel complete with crystal to allow the movement to come out the front. The movement is probably held in with the one screw that you have identified, and a peg diametrically opposite. Once you have removed the screw press very gently on the end of the balance cock and it should hopefully come our safely.

I may be wrong, so on no account force anything. :)