Hi. My son has a Rotary automatic. For a while, it has only worked if held face down. When it’s turned over, it slowly grinds to a halt. 
Upon opening the case, I also found a small piece of the movement rattling around. It’s tiny and I can’t find where it belongs. The picture shows this. Can anyone please help??

961A9497-348F-46AD-85A1-67F1725EF62F.jpeg

That looks to me like a broken setting lever spring, which is the thing that makes the "click" when you pull out the stem to set the time.

I'm going to guess that was impinging on the works inside the watch when it's face up, and fell out of the way when face down.

I don't know anything about Rotary watches, but it definitely needs to be taken apart and serviced, and the spring replaced.

• Like 1

I would agree with Manskirtbrew setting lever spring,  you need to get the movement out of the case and the dial and hands off. If it has the day date complications on they will have to be r3moved to expose the setting lever.  At that point post a new picture of the watch movement and have a look for the calibre number and makers mark under the dial , on the rotor or the bridge. You will need this for ordering parts. My thoughts are being a skeleton watch it maybe Chinese movement and parts are hard to find. Might be easier buying a replacement movement , once we know it’s details.   Cheers

Actually looks like a part of the pawl lever to me. The newer rotary skeletons use seiko clones. I have one with a hz2189g in it, which looks like a clone of a 7002.

Can we get a photo of the movement? 

Depending on the movement they are pretty easy to source a whole new one. 

Looks like this part. 

Screenshot_20230116_131803.jpg

Edited by lexacat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Nice catch! I've never seen a pawl lever. Looks like it's part of the automatic works to allow a gear to move in one direction?

Correct! It grabs either side of the second reduction wheel. Super clever design. 

Unfortunately, if its a 7xxx clone, it will require removal of the barrel bridge to replace it which is a bit of a pain. It is held in from underneath by a circlip.