First taste of success!

... though it's not "complete" yet.

I realized a couple days ago that for just kinda getting used to working on the size scale of watches and getting a bit of a feel for using the hand tools (tweezers, etc.) that trying to bring to life some of my old "junk" dial indicators might be a good way to go. The movements are dead simple compared to any watch but it's about on par with the size of pocket watch gears & such.

Well I bungled up my first attempt - a DTI. But I want to follow through on it just for the practice, so I'm going to get a couple parts (indicator hand mainly) and finish it. The second one, another DTI, I realized that it had a shattered jewel so I decided to jump right in and order one of those import Horia clone jeweling tools - baptism of fire. I'll measure and buy the jewel soon, but I have a month to wait so no burning rush.

But today I dove into a Federal .0001" indicator (6 jewels). It's a nice one but it was gummy like you wouldn't believe. Well I'm sure you'd believe it and indeed run into worse yourself, but still. So I just took it apart & cleaned it, polished the badly scratched up crystal, put it back together with new lubrication, and I'll be darned if it ain't working again just like new!

I did have to remove the crystal to clean things properly and I'm going to need a press to get it back in, so I'll get an import cheap version of that for now. But even though it's not all buttoned up yet, I feel a little joy that I was able to revive an old tool which was worthless otherwise.

I'll wade into actual watches pretty soon. I kinda needed a little gratification of success after those first two dead ends. It makes me feel like maybe I can learn how to do some of this after all.

• Like 5