Yesterday I noticed that one of my quartz watches had stopped after 3 years and needs a battery. After boogering it up trying to get a knife into the spot on the 25mm back cover I decided that I don't have what it takes to open this watch. Is there a trick?

back - close.jpg

front-back.jpg

I used to use a knife like that shown above. But lately, my preference is for a Seiko style knife, which is cradled in the palm and pushed instead. It gives much more force to wedge the blade under a tight snap on back. The key word "wedge". Most beginners tend to use a case knife by levering, like a teaspoon is used to open a tin. But that tends to slip off and scratch the case. 

There is another thread for caseback opening tools. Have a read of that. There were a lot of good advice given there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

or something like this?

Something like that. Doesn't seem to be a large enough opening to get purchase.

Just now, HectorLooi said:

that tends to slip off and scratch the case. 

As I have...   😞 

5 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Yesterday I noticed that one of my quartz watches had stopped after 3 years and needs a battery. After boogering it up trying to get a knife into the spot on the 25mm back cover I decided that I don't have what it takes to open this watch. Is there a trick?

back - close.jpg

front-back.jpg

Thats definitely the way in Gary. A sharp case knife tight against that notch, i usually lever back to click it off. Did about 4 of these same ones for my sis a while back. They all clicked of nicely as long as the knife was in fully and kept tight up to the notch. In the UK we say buggering about, a different connatation. Not picking one's nose, more a case of poking something else in somewhere that its not supposed to go. 

• Like 1