Hello, not even a beginner yet.

EHam

But I've very much been interested in watchmaking for a very long time.   So, I'm thinking about taking the course, and giving it a go.  (I wonder if this old dog can learn some new tricks?)

In any case, I'm likely to ask some dumb questions along the way that may cause others vicarious embarrassment.  So, I offer my apologies in advance. 

Welcome to WRT! I've taken Mark's online courses (1 - 3) and they're going to teach you a lot (especially as a "not-even-a-beginner").

There are some really helpful folks here. When you ask your questions, be sure to attach a photo of what you're working on. You might also edit your profile to let us know where you are in the world (there are folks here from all over the place).

I started with this whole thing about 7 months ago and I have learned a lot here (and from watching YT videos). I'm still not very adept at doing the actual work (but I have a lot of fun photographing what I'm doing).

- Gary

• Like 1

Welcome! I've also taken the first three levels of Mark's courses and found them worth the money.

There is, however, no substitute for experience, and don't be discouraged when your first few eBay finds don't work out well.

The ST36/6497 clone movement from eBay is a good place to start. You can pick one up brand new for less than $40 and not have to deal with busted-up watches and broken parts while learning how to disassemble and assemble a watch.

I'm pretty sure that's the movement Mark recommends in his course, as well.

And finally, ask the dumb questions. We've all been there (many of us still are, speaking for myself).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EHam said:

But I've very much been interested in watchmaking for a very long time.   So, I'm thinking about taking the course, and giving it a go.  (I wonder if this old dog can learn some new tricks?)

In any case, I'm likely to ask some dumb questions along the way that may cause others vicarious embarrassment.  So, I offer my apologies in advance. 

Welcome to WRT.  Your username is oddly similar to someone I know.  You by chance aren't in central Oklahoma are you?  Slim chance but I figured I'd ask.