Citizen 8280a mainspring reference

Hi,

I'm in the process of a full clean/service of an old citizen watch I got that uses a 8280a movement. I would like to take the opportunity to replace the mainspring since it doesn't look in very good shape but unfortunatly I can't find its reference to buy a new one. I tried here: https://oldswisswatches.com/watch-parts-branded/watch-mainspring-new-old-stock/citizen-watch-mainspring-nos/ but the 8280 isn't listed. Diving a bit deeper I found that I could try to determine an equivalent by measuring the current barrel, but having never done that I'm not too confident to try it on a working movement. Would appreciate if anyone could give me some leads to find the good ref. to buy :).

Thanks!

Edited by Tino
typo

Hi mikepilk, thank you for you answer. 

It's an automatic wind movement, the only reference that appears on the movement is on the rotor as seen in the first attached picture. I wonder if I could find an "equivalent" Miyota movement but couldn't confirm it neither.

I didn't take out the spring still I'm unsure if I can find a replacement. I've also attached the inside and outside readings I got from measuring the barrel.

P9241090.jpg

inside.jpg

outside.jpg

Edited by Tino

16 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Do you have spring winders ?

Unfortunately I don't. This is why I was looking for a replacement. I saw that I might be able to clean it and re-wind it without a tool but I've never tried it. Guess I'll have to do it if I can't find a new one..

Thanks for the video, will definitly try it ! 

52 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I have seen that for other 82## calibres, the "complete barrel" is sold, hence no reference to spring size

Just to confirm does it mean that I can use any 82## barrel like this one? I tried to look for a complete  barrel for the 8280 but couln't find it.

One very useful website is JulesBorel http://www.julesborel.com/

Select "JBC Watch Parts Database"  then " Search for parts for manufacturers from A to F", Citizen.

Find " CIT 8280A" , then any part you select, it will show which other movements use the same part.

Unfortunately it doesn't list mainspring or complete barrel. 

So, I'm not sure 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tino said:

Hi mikepilk, thank you for you answer. 

It's an automatic wind movement, the only reference that appears on the movement is on the rotor as seen in the first attached picture. I wonder if I could find an "equivalent" Miyota movement but couldn't confirm it neither.

I didn't take out the spring still I'm unsure if I can find a replacement. I've also attached the inside and outside readings I got from measuring the barrel.

P9241090.jpg

inside.jpg

outside.jpg

Looking at the pic it certainly needs cleaning. If careful this can be done without a winder and providing the spring is not damaged lubricate and re fit by hand.. Before this take measurements height and strength just in case you need a replacement. 

Edited by clockboy

So, I took of the mainspring, cleaned it and the moment I tried to fit it back starting with the tail it broke in 3 parts. My lack of experience surely did not help but I think that the spring itself was not in such a good shape anymore. I'm back to my first plan to buy a replacement, but am still confused to how do I find one.

17 hours ago, clockboy said:

Before this take measurements height and strength just in case you need a replacement

Measurements I have is:

• spring Height: 1.00mm
  • spring Thickness: 0.10mm
  • spring Length ~350mm
  • barrel internal diameter: 10.1mm

I found this site where you can use a calculator to reverse engineer the mainspring based on your measurments: https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/mainsprings.php#calculators.  

I got the followin estimate with my barrel internal diameter and spring thickness: Results: spring length = 356, turns = 7.9, barrel/arbor = 3, barrel/spring = 101, arbor/spring = 34.

But again can't find and online site where I could actually use this information to buy and equivalent.

Thanks for your help!