Picked Up A Large Assortment Of Tools Today - With A Very Interesting Story Behind Them

I'm a longtime member of another forum (non-watch related), and personally know several of the members.  I have posted up some of my recent watch projects as a several of the people there have told me that they enjoy seeing that kind of work being done.  One of the members (whom I haven't met previously) sent me a private message telling me that he had his grandfather's old watchmaking tools and asked me if I'd be interested in purchasing them.  We started to talk and he sent me a few photos, which got me excited!  He then proceeded to tell me that his grandfather was the official clock and watch repairer for Queen Juliana of Holland.  He sent me a photo of a newspaper article his family has kept from the Tulsa World newspaper back from the 1970's, stating that his grandfather was one of the best watchmakers in Holland.  After he repaired a special clock for Queen Juliana that was given to her as a gift from Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion of Israel, she was so pleased with his work that the queen became one of his clients!  The story goes on to give a history on his grandfather, and was very interesting to read.   I tried to upload a high quality photo of the newspaper article, so you can zoom in and read it if you'd like to.

image.thumb.png.709b2dbd3474ebcaaae73cf29027e11e.png

He told me that his family has kept his grandfathers tools since he passed away many years ago.  They never had any intent of selling them, but after he read that I was getting started learning watchmaking and knew that I was local.  They decided to offer them to me for sale with the strict provision that I do not sell any of them, but rather use his grandfathers tools as I continue to learn watchmaking.  I was happy to agree to his terms.  I finally got home this evening after meeting him on the other side of the state and began going through all of the items.  There is a complete staking set with every single piece still in the box, all of which are in fantastic condition, a Jacot tool, a lathe, several sets of broaches and files, bags upon bags of parts, a poising tool, and some other tools that I honestly don't even know what they do at this point.  I explained to him that some of the tools were beyond my current skill level.  We both smiled when I said that because the whole idea was for me to use them to learn as I continue to move forward.  Here are some photos:

1.thumb.JPG.e88cf27427c674129198f78049d425ce.JPG2.thumb.JPG.f824a780c1ec918dcf4baca6325c9763.JPG3.thumb.JPG.c0950ae3811e58b8a82119b6f5f9b428.JPG4.thumb.JPG.220935ebadc928292c3ff1d40b14cf9f.JPG5.thumb.JPG.7e97719a52bc0326be0cc80d835504df.JPG11.JPG.82a4095e3a5656c6fbf7bb9db0ade672.JPG6.thumb.JPG.4b55c6cde3ee25e70eba58cb371ac10d.JPG7.thumb.JPG.df4dfccacd97759f1b4b21d31c0ee002.JPG8.thumb.JPG.589e58ceb1b1df90c7d7a8aaed0ea67d.JPG9.thumb.JPG.26ca6e77544b7872946d255e476b52b5.JPG

This last photo is of a few tools that I haven't yet figured out what they for.  The bottom/middle tool I thought perhaps was what you use to hold hands if you need to use a broach to open up the eyelets, but it does not separate to allow you to install the hands, and the holes are quite large.  I'm unsure what any of them do quite honestly.

10.thumb.JPG.33dbccf8f6d16452d2604ccb64a97f27.JPG

I think I got a really good deal.  I purchased all of these items for a total of $600.  I know the staking set is probably worth nearly that by itself.  I'll need to find a motor to use for the lathe, but I'd imagine it'll be some time before I get to a point where I can use it.  I have an immediate need for the staking set and Jacot tool, so I'm going to find some fishing line and restring the bow so I can spin the tool.  If anyone can provide any insight on what the 4 tools are in the last photograph, I'd be very appreciative.

I'm pretty excited to use these tools, and am extremely grateful that his family thought me worthy to continue on using his grandfather's tools.  Hopefully I made a good investment!

Edited by thor447
  • Like 9

My thoughts exactly.  I will be using the staking set and Jacot tool this weekend, but it's going to take me some time before I'm ready to use that lathe.  It's nice to have it though.  It'll just be in the box for quite some time still, and I'll need to sort out the motor and pick up a turning tool set and cutoff tool.  All in good time though.  In the meantime I seriously have to figure out a storage solution for all of these tools.  My current watchmaking bench does not have the capacity to neatly organize all of these tools.  I'm either going to build some shelving and reorganize the workspace or perhaps buy a roller toolbox that will fit underneath an adjacent taller workbench I use for gunsmithing/reloading stuff.  It's a small room, but I'll make it work.  I've been told that I'm not allowed to extend out beyond the smallest room in our house!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thor447 said:

I'm a longtime member of another forum (non-watch related), and personally know several of the members.  I have posted up some of my recent watch projects as a several of the people there have told me that they enjoy seeing that kind of work being done.  One of the members (whom I haven't met previously) sent me a private message telling me that he had his grandfather's old watchmaking tools and asked me if I'd be interested in purchasing them.  We started to talk and he sent me a few photos, which got me excited!  He then proceeded to tell me that his grandfather was the official clock and watch repairer for Queen Juliana of Holland.  He sent me a photo of a newspaper article his family has kept from the Tulsa World newspaper back from the 1970's, stating that his grandfather was one of the best watchmakers in Holland.  After he repaired a special clock for Queen Juliana that was given to her as a gift from Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion of Israel, she was so pleased with his work that the queen became one of his clients!  The story goes on to give a history on his grandfather, and was very interesting to read.   I tried to upload a high quality photo of the newspaper article, so you can zoom in and read it if you'd like to.

He told me that his family has kept his grandfathers tools since he passed away many years ago.  They never had any intent of selling them, but after he read that I was getting started learning watchmaking and knew that I was local.  They decided to offer them to me for sale with the strict provision that I do not sell any of them, but rather use his grandfathers tools as I continue to learn watchmaking.  I was happy to agree to his terms.  I finally got home this evening after meeting him on the other side of the state and began going through all of the items.  There is a complete staking set with every single piece still in the box, all of which are in fantastic condition, a Jacot tool, a lathe, several sets of broaches and files, bags upon bags of parts, a poising tool, and some other tools that I honestly don't even know what they do at this point.  I explained to him that some of the tools were beyond my current skill level.  We both smiled when I said that because the whole idea was for me to use them to learn as I continue to move forward.  Here are some photos:

1.thumb.JPG.e88cf27427c674129198f78049d425ce.JPG2.thumb.JPG.f824a780c1ec918dcf4baca6325c9763.JPG3.thumb.JPG.c0950ae3811e58b8a82119b6f5f9b428.JPG4.thumb.JPG.220935ebadc928292c3ff1d40b14cf9f.JPG5.thumb.JPG.7e97719a52bc0326be0cc80d835504df.JPG11.JPG.82a4095e3a5656c6fbf7bb9db0ade672.JPG6.thumb.JPG.4b55c6cde3ee25e70eba58cb371ac10d.JPG7.thumb.JPG.df4dfccacd97759f1b4b21d31c0ee002.JPG8.thumb.JPG.589e58ceb1b1df90c7d7a8aaed0ea67d.JPG9.thumb.JPG.26ca6e77544b7872946d255e476b52b5.JPG

This last photo is of a few tools that I haven't yet figured out what they for.  The bottom/middle tool I thought perhaps was what you use to hold hands if you need to use a broach to open up the eyelets, but it does not separate to allow you to install the hands, and the holes are quite large.  I'm unsure what any of them do quite honestly.

I think I got a really good deal.  I purchased all of these items for a total of $600.  I know the staking set is probably worth nearly that by itself.  I'll need to find a motor to use for the lathe, but I'd imagine it'll be some time before I get to a point where I can use it.  I have an immediate need for the staking set and Jacot tool, so I'm going to find some fishing line and restring the bow so I can spin the tool.  If anyone can provide any insight on what the 4 tools are in the last photograph, I'd be very appreciative.

I'm pretty excited to use these tools, and am extremely grateful that his family thought me worthy to continue on using his grandfather's tools.  Hopefully I made a good investment!

What a lovely gesture from his family thor, you must be very pleased. You are obviously a well thought of member on your other forum. You have a lot of equipment here to help you with raising your game and learning some of the more skilled aspects of watch repair. I think i can help identify you mystery objects. 1. Is a bit of a guess, i think to do with the lathe to oil the bearings. 2. Looks like a homemade collet / roller remover. 3. Is a mainspring winder. 4. Looks like a movement holder, but would need to see the other side of it. 

10.thumb.JPG.33dbccf8f6d16452d2604ccb64a97f27.jpeg-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

What a lovely gesture from his family thor, you must be very pleased. You are obviously a well thought of member on your other forum. You have a lot of equipment here to help you with raising your game and learning some of the more skilled aspects of watch repair. I think i can help identify you mystery objects. 1. Is a bit of a guess, i think to do with the lathe to oil the bearings. 2. Looks like a homemade collet / roller remover. 3. Is a mainspring winder. 4. Looks like a movement holder, but would need to see the other side of it. 

Thank you for this info!  #3 makes much more sense now that you've told me what it is.  I really like this design for winding a mainspring.  The 3 sizes on the tool are a bit small for what I've been working on lately, but I was able to put a junk Seiko mainspring in the largest of the 3 positions and get it wound.  The mainspring had the bridal broken off, and even still was quite tight inside the winder.  The inner diameters of the 3 positions are 6.5mm, 7.5mm, and 8.5mm, which I'm sure will cover a lot of future projects.  It's just a bit small for the Seiko's I've been working on as of late.

15.JPG.3f9b253676bce75330273bcbaf139e95.JPG14.JPG.1517a05a4ad0aced18d74eee6aaa6efc.JPG

I wish I could find another one of these winders with slightly larger sizes.  It'd be a great lower cost option than buying the newer made winders.  Do you happen to know the style of this type of winder, or if they have a specific name?  Either way, thank you for the info.

As for #4, below is a picture of the other side for your reference.

13.JPG.86d3fd23a195f2cdde069585a8bf3a33.JPG

Edited by thor447

12 minutes ago, thor447 said:

Thank you for this info!  #3 now makes much more sense now that you've told me what it is.  I really like this design for winding a mainspring.  The 3 sizes on the tool are a bit small for what I've been working on lately, but I was able to put a junk mainspring in the largest of the 3 positions and get it wound.  The mainspring had the bridal broken off, and even still was quite tight inside the winder. 

15.JPG.3f9b253676bce75330273bcbaf139e95.JPG14.JPG.1517a05a4ad0aced18d74eee6aaa6efc.JPG

I wish I could find another one of these winders with slightly larger sizes.  It'd be a great lower cost option than buying the newer made winders.  Do you happen to know the style of this type of winder, or if they have a specific name?  Either way, thank you for the info.

As for #4, below is a picture of the other side for your reference.

13.JPG.86d3fd23a195f2cdde069585a8bf3a33.JPG

These winders are limited by the fact of their sizes and often do not fit. Be careful that the spring does not fill up all of the space inside the winder, this can make it difficult to free the winder pin from the spring cut out. This winder does have a specific name which escapes me at the moment but i do have one still in its original box. I will have a look when i am home, it was also mentioned on the forum a while back. No.4 still does look like a movement holder, look at the jaws they are recessed back to hold the mainplate in position.  but possibly adapted for an extra proceedure. Not sure what the central addition is for. I can't comment on the quality of a Pultra lathe, but i would think with its owners standing it should be good. I have noticed you may need some more collets though, a good selection when you have become proficient with a lathe would be more like 30 +.  Not all collets are the same, different diameters and thread cut. Try find a name on your staking set, plenty of accessories here. Haha i am excited for you , i love new tools 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

These winders are limited by the fact of their sizes and often do not fit. Be careful that the spring does not fill up all of the space inside the winder, this can make it difficult to free the winder pin from the spring cut out. This winder does have a specific name which escapes me at the moment but i do have one still in its original box. I will have a look when i am home, it was also mentioned on the forum a while back. No.4 still does look like a movement holder, look at the jaws they are recessed back to hold the mainplate in position.  but possibly adapted for an extra proceedure. Not sure what the central addition is for. I can't comment on the quality of a Pultra lathe, but i would think with its owners standing it should be good. I have noticed you may need some more collets though, a good selection when you have become proficient with a lathe would be more like 30 +.  Not all collets are the same, different diameters and thread cut. Try find a name on your staking set, plenty of accessories here. Haha i am excited for you , i love new tools 🙂

The staking set is 'Siso'.  It's labeled on the box and on the opposite side of the base unit, it's just not visible in the photo.  It seems very sturdy, has a lot of weight, etc.  I played with the adjustments and centering stake and it is smooth as can be.  I'm really pleased with this staking set and expect it to perform well.

The mainspring winder is a bit on the smaller side, but I'm sure I'll be able to use it on some future projects with appropriately sized mainsprings/barrels.

Edited by thor447
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, thor447 said:

The staking set is 'Siso'.  It's labeled on the box and on the opposite side of the base unit, it's just not visible in the photo.  It seems very sturdy, has a lot of weight, etc.  I played with the adjustments and centering stake and it is smooth as can be.  I'm really pleased with this staking set and expect it to perform well.

The mainspring winder is a bit on the smaller side, but I'm sure I'll be able to use it on some future projects with appropriately sized mainsprings/barrels.

A good staking with all of its accessories can run you to $300 easily. You have done very well.  👍

5 hours ago, thor447 said:

What a remarkable story and you have purchased not only some wonderful tools but tools with history.. An initiative for sure to learn the skills the previous owner for sure had. The middle tool might be a watch mainspring winder. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2022 at 2:59 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

You were spot on with #2.  I had my first balance staff replacement today.  Working on a Hamilton 956 movement in an old pocket watch.  I decided to give #2 a try to remove the roller and it worked like an absolute charm!  Kudos to the original owner of these tools - Mr. Rijk de Bruin.  I was still planning on picking up a Platax tool at some point, but now I'll put those plans on hold.  This little device just saved me some headache, and money!

• Like 1

Me being Dutch; what a remarkable story and what for $600 + a fantastic Royal connection provenance can be easily called a huge GIFT !

Looking at the condition of the tools, indeed from somebody who took huge proud in his job.

I love the old fashion wooden "Hofnar" cigar box, in the old days nearly always kept and used as small items storage-boxes by all sorts of "handyman".

I envy 🤩

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, thor447 said:

You were spot on with #2.  I had my first balance staff replacement today.  Working on a Hamilton 956 movement in an old pocket watch.  I decided to give #2 a try to remove the roller and it worked like an absolute charm!  Kudos to the original owner of these tools - Mr. Rijk de Bruin.  I was still planning on picking up a Platax tool at some point, but now I'll put those plans on hold.  This little device just saved me some headache, and money!

Well done thor, the  Platax tools are not easy to come by and expensive. Ive been watching one on the bay for a while. Hovering around 450 quid.

• Like 1