hello there

Nate

Hi everyone. I am starting out as a tinkerer in this world of tiny things. I have lots of things to say about the 7s26 pivot settings but I did manage to get them done, the seiko 5 is my daily wear for now. My current challenge is a eBay special 2824-2 from a 1990s watch. the challenge is frustating but the reward of a regular ticking machine is worth it

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I will try this weekend.  I've tried several times with my cell phone and it's just too small and recessed to get a good picture.  I need to get my macro lens and tripod out and then figure out how to get enough light down the hole in the side of the man plate to  actually show the top of the broken screw. I appreciate the effort and will try and get that pic this weekend.
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Hi,   My name is Simeon I am based in Sydney, Australia and have recently got into watch repair / watch making.  I am very much a learner having serviced multiple forgotten watches, some of which were actually successful!   I have a slowly growing collection of watches, mainly old Soviet, a few Japanese and (not pictured) some Raketas, a Poljot Alarm, an Omega Speedmaster Reduced and a vintage (1972) Tissot Seastar.  I like unloved vintage watches, with quirky faces and enjoy bringing them back to life through the simple(!) act of disassembly, clearing and reassembly. I am an Electrical Engineer who also undertook a trade apprenticeship so I am reasonably handy - It's fair to say, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. 
    • ha ha looks like a WMD.....you know I want one now  
    • I took a chance on a non running Cosmotron X8 ("perhaps just needs a new battery" said the advert). Sure enough, I open it up and it has the wrong battery installed (a Renata 344 rather than the correct Renata 386) and the screws holding the battery contact had been sheared off to half a head on both ends. Ho ho, I thought - there's the problem. I got the broken screws out easily enough and as soon as I placed the correct battery in place the balance started. This picked up speed when I reinstalled one side of the battery contact and looked like it was a runner. As I was trying to get the replacement screws in, I did one side but the second was a bit of struggle (hold down the battery contact against its spring while dropping the screw in with tweezers) the balance stopped again. This time it wouldn't start again. 98 percent sure that I didn't stick anything, anywhere important or break it in a mechanical way. The battery was in place for most of the struggling with the contact, so it might have had an intermittent connection which could have upset the electronics. I tried giving it a puff with the blower but the balance doesn't seem to rotate in the normal way, it seems to be held in a static position by magnet. It can be pulled out of this position but spins back and stops dead. This may well be correct for all I know. Anyway, does anyone know anything about these watches and can tell me how I would go about and fault find this? I will be servicing it at some point so should be able to rule out mechanical issues from an old watch but not sure where to start with the electrical part of it.