Mainspring Barrel End Shake - Too Much??

Hello forum, I come once again to call upon your expertise.  I have finished cleaning the movement on my first full service/rebuild and have begun reassembly and lubrication.  I was checking the end play of the wheel train and barrel and I believe that I have too much end shake in the barrel.  Thankfully I've got my microscope camera working and was able to take a decent video (not sure if I could upload it here so I put it on YouTube).  Would you please have a look at the video and let me know if you think that there is too much movement in the barrel.  It honestly wouldn't hurt my feelings if there is, it would only delay completion of the watch a little longer because now I'll have an excuse to begin looking for a nice used staking set and some smoothing broaches!

Here's the video.

Secondly, I thought you'd like to see a video that I took of this watch before it was disassembled for the first time.  When I first opened it up, even I with my novice eye could tell that the amplitude was very low.  Knowing this watch was dirty I didn't think much of it.  I zoomed in and took a look at the escape jewel on the pallet fork and was able to capture some video of it in it's pre-cleaned state.  Is this normal dirt build up on an old watch, or would you call this excessive?

I think I chose a terrible watch to start out with!  It is getting much more than a simple clean and lubrication job.  The hairspring was shot so I ordered a replacement balance wheel/hairspring assembly, along with a replacement mainspring, crystal and gaskets.  I suppose if I get to put this main plate and bridge on a staking set and tighten them up a little bit, it'd only be par for the course.  Thankfully it isn't terribly complicated to assemble.  The automatic works, day and date complications have been fun to learn on. 

Edited by thor447

• thor447 changed the title to Mainspring Barrel End Shake - Too Much??

Hmmmm, that a 700x movement? Looks like it. Your problem looks like side shake, not end shake and it’s certainly showing advanced signs of wear. That said, wear on that looks more like the arbour hole on the main plate, not the top plate (which would be an easy fix but just punching out the bush). The main plate isn’t bushed and staking that is probably not a good idea, but certainly possible.

But it’s not ruined yet. I see them with score marks where the ratchet wheel has left marks on the top plate and yours doesn’t have that. You might lose a little amplitude and power reserve but it won’t be the end of the world. If that watch won’t be a daily for the next 5 years you’ll probably not need to do anything. Up to you though.

That escape wheel is pretty dirty; looks like someone dipped the whole movement in oil. I would still go ahead with your plan to clean and lubricate, see how it performs and take from there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbyleveldt said:

Hmmmm, that a 700x movement? Looks like it. Your problem looks like side shake, not end shake and it’s certainly showing advanced signs of wear. That said, wear on that looks more like the arbour hole on the main plate, not the top plate (which would be an easy fix but just punching out the bush). The main plate isn’t bushed and staking that is probably not a good idea, but certainly possible.

But it’s not ruined yet. I see them with score marks where the ratchet wheel has left marks on the top plate and yours doesn’t have that. You might lose a little amplitude and power reserve but it won’t be the end of the world. If that watch won’t be a daily for the next 5 years you’ll probably not need to do anything. Up to you though.

That escape wheel is pretty dirty; looks like someone dipped the whole movement in oil. I would still go ahead with your plan to clean and lubricate, see how it performs and take from there

Thank you for the clarification, yes it is side shake not end shake.  This watch will not be a daily wearer. Truth be told the factory bracelet won’t even fit me at it’s longest setting. It’s more of a project than some thing I plan on wearing regularly. If I do get it up and going though I’ll probably find an XL strap for it and wear it on occasion. You are also correct that it is a 7006a movement. I’ll keep moving forward with assembly and lubrication and we’ll see what kind of readings I get.  Thank you for the advice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikepilk said:

The side shake is not terrible, but probably worth closing the hole a bit. 

This shows you how to (I've pasted this a few times recently !) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshFo-KGgjY&t=3s

Thank you.  Ironically I came across that YouTube channel a few weeks ago and have been thoroughly enjoying his videos. Highly informative content!  As was suggested earlier by another forum member, I'm going to continue with the assembly and see what kind of readings I get.  I don't have a staking set or smoothing broaches yet, but I'll begin to search for them.  Even if I don't end up doing it on this movement, I think it would be good to have on hand for future projects.  Eventually I'll come across a watch that will require me to have this tooling.  I'm also on the hunt for a decent jeweling tool.