Time function.

I have this Certina with ETA251 262 battery operated movement. When I fit the battery the white sweep-second hand functions but the hour and minute hands do not move. I wonder if I am missing something obvious, but any ideas about what the problem could be would be much appreciated, thanks.

4-Mvmnt removed..JPG

18 minutes ago, fjseal said:

I have this Certina with ETA251 262 battery operated movement. When I fit the battery the white sweep-second hand functions but the hour and minute hands do not move. I wonder if I am missing something obvious, but any ideas about what the problem could be would be much appreciated, thanks.

4-Mvmnt removed..JPG

From inside the watch what movement can you see of the gear train ? Can you post some close up pictures of this side. 

8 hours ago, fjseal said:

When I fit the battery the white sweep-second hand functions but the hour and minute hands do not move.

Quartz chronos use a separate motor and coil for each sub-hand, so it can be that only time is jammed or faulty. You can try using  a line-free box or demagnetizer to give it a little pulse, failing that the problem becomes more difficult and specialized to diagnose and repair, with most repairers replacing the module complete.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fjseal said:

I wonder if I am missing something obvious,

Usually for in a complicated watch there is a setting procedure to get everything lined up again. In other words you can't just drop the battery and expect the watch to work and everything to be fine you have to follow the reset and setting procedure. I've attached the service manual the setting procedures are in the back of the manual.

572429687_289_ETA251.252251.262251.272.pdf

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Usually for in a complicated watch there is a setting procedure to get everything lined up again.

There is a setting procedure for the chronograph hands only, which is explained on both the service manual that you have attached, and the user manual.

But, the OP has the time function not working at all, and this is something that is supposed to be working as soon the battery is connected. There is no reset function, and setting the time is, of course, normally done with the crown.

• Like 1