Help identifying a Benrus AP49 movement.

474972405_CM220716-1535230042.thumb.jpg.ffab7b792e50d1cd08bd5fee81c9edbd.jpg

842720399_CM220716-1833470043.thumb.jpg.65a2036323a83f7e1ad9621ee4c59374.jpg

I looked around on the web based resources that I am familiar with but I have not had any luck identifying who made this movement and want its caliber number is.  I have found other movements (AP12) that look virtually identical but I'm under the impression that the AP number is Benrus's movement number and has little value in finding information or parts.  I left my calipers at work so I don't have an accurate diameter at this time.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Shane

The "P" logo on the dial side would seem to suggest a Peseux movement. 

Ranfft shows 200+/- Peseux movements. You'll want the diameter before you go looking there.

I don't see enough detail in the keyless works to look through Bestfit.

Are those mini OREO cookies ?  🙂 

Edited by grsnovi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Ranfft shows 200+/- Peseux movements. You'll want the diameter before you go looking there.

Right! It seems to be the Peseux 40+x generation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, grsnovi said:

2 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Right! It seems to be the Peseux 40+x generation

Yes, I also thought Peseux and looked on Ranfft.  My estimated diameter brought me right to the 40's as suggested but I did not see an exact match.  I know Dr. Ranfft, 17jewels, ECT can not have 100% of every variation possible but this is the first time I've been unable to find the exact one I'm working on listed.  It leaves that question in the back of one's mind.  I am kinda hoping that somebody, some day says "oh yeah, that's a **** from ****.  In lieu of that, I was just looking for confirmation.  Thanks guys.

8 hours ago, grsnovi said:

No, I was hoping that they were sacrificial anodes, keeping more valuable harder to replace parts inside the movement from damage but that was not the case.  I am not sure what/if anything beyond the plate, bridges and barrel are going to be salvageable.  But we'll see.

Thanks again.

Shane

I'm not sure that the number in the Benrus designation is a 49, that seems too high. Could the leading numeral be an elaborate "1"?  

In any case, the AP family for Benrus is listed in references as using the Peseux 150 as the base movement (which isn't an entry in the Ranfft database). When looking for equivalent movements, note that this may be one of the families that had multiple train bridge arrangements - Benrus used the consolidated version but it looks like others had a separate bridge for the escape wheel.

• Like 2

After the first run through the ultrasonic cleaner, it does seem to look more like an AP12 to me,still not sure about the one (more cleaning In it's future).

I've got some of the parts soaking is some alum solution.  I need to dissolve both dial screws, one pallet bridge screw (not sure what the pallet will have to say about that) and the click and click screw.  I'm also letting the pivot and pinions dissolve from inside of the balance and train wheels.

All that can happen is it gets to a higher percentage of better.

Thanks.

Shane

4 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Why bother?

Someone saved it (in this condition), It must have ment something to them.  In my opinion, the custodianship of our collective history should not be limited to just the valuable or perfect.

What does it hurt if I show it some kindness?

I try not to purchase new parts for a totally lost cause but I won't know how bad it is until I take it apart.  If all I wind up doing is cleaning it up and putting the parts in a bag and the bag in a box of unfinished watches, I'm not much different than the watchmaker I got it from.  It will just be clean for the next guy to find when I'm gone.

Shane

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shane said:

but I won't know how bad it is until I take it apart

I'm guessing that the keyless works is toast.

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Doesn't hurt at all. If the watch was given to you to look at. If I stumbled across it looking for something to work on "just because" I suspect I wouldn't bother.

On 7/17/2022 at 5:07 AM, grsnovi said:

Lol.  trust you Gary, do you have cookies on the brain. Hint at your missus to get the baking gear out and crank up the oven 👍. Now I'm  hungry lol.

11 hours ago, Shane said:

Someone saved it (in this condition), It must have ment something to them.  In my opinion, the custodianship of our collective history should not be limited to just the valuable or perfect.

I try not to purchase new parts for a totally lost cause but I won't know how bad it is until I take it apart.  If all I wind up doing is cleaning it up and putting the parts in a bag and the bag in a box of unfinished watches, I'm not much different than the watchmaker I got it from.  It will just be clean for the next guy to find when I'm gone.

Shane

I like you shane. You think exactly like me. 

• Like 1