Calendar Auto Orient Diver T 19755

I have started working on these two watches, initial assessment of missing parts. I bought them as non running "Junk" from Japan hoping to make one complete watch. The case has some wear but both dials are in amazing shape. When I received them they both partially run which was a nice surprise and hope that all they need is a service. The problem is that there is essentially zero information on these watch cases or movements. I am initially trying to find a bezel for the blue/black dial (I have the dial insert) but don't know how to measure the case for a new coin edge bezel. From what I have read some of these watches came with a unidirectional coin edge bezel and some had no bezel at all. The silver dial watch has a slightly different case and glass compared to the blue one. I am also missing a case back locking ring and was wondering how to find a suitable replacement. 

PXL_20220713_155829875.jpg

PXL_20220713_155904544.jpg

PXL_20220713_160109472.jpg

25 minutes ago, Kappa505 said:

The problem is that there is essentially zero information on these watch cases or movements

Not just that, but also virtually no spare parts are available. Orient has always been a relatively popular brand for a 1st purchase based on price competitiveness to Seiko and Citizen, but their choice has been always not to make easy or possible to repair their watches. The intent is of course to make people buy a new watch.

21 minutes ago, jdm said:

Not just that, but also virtually no spare parts are available. Orient has always been a relatively popular brand for a 1st purchase based on price competitiveness to Seiko and Citizen, but their choice has been always not to make easy or possible to repair their watches. The intent is of course to make people buy a new watch.

These two were far from cheap. How should i go about finding a new caseback locking ring or measuring for a new bezel?

21 minutes ago, Kappa505 said:

These two were far from cheap.

Then you paid an inflated price, sorry about that.

21 minutes ago, Kappa505 said:

How should i go about finding a new caseback locking ring or measuring for a new bezel?

The ring is generic enough so you may be able to use whatever you can find, even in a different shape or finish. Bezel s ay or may not interchange, even for that as for any other part there is no secret source, you can only search the Internet. Some able people make these in stainless steel, although I understand perfectly that is something impossible for the average hobbyst.

3 hours ago, jdm said:

I am not sure you can say that without knowing how much I paid. If I can get them running as is I can probably sell them for far more than I paid. If I part them out most likely even more. 

9 hours ago, Kappa505 said:
12 hours ago, jdm said:

I am not sure you can say that without knowing how much I paid. 

I think jdm was making a considerate remark tbf based on the fact that you said these were far from cheap. Your own sentiments regarding how much you paid. 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I think jdm was making a considerate remark tbf based on the fact that you said these were far from cheap. Your own sentiments regarding how much you paid.

My response was based on his statement that I paid an inflated price. They weren't cheap but without knowing how much I paid it's impossible for him to assume that I paid an inflated price.

2 hours ago, Kappa505 said:

My response was based on his statement that I paid an inflated price. They weren't cheap but without knowing how much I paid it's impossible for him to assume that I paid an inflated price.

Point taken. I think this boils down to the typical different perceptions of responses.  From what i understand of jdm he is not a presumptuous person and his comment was merely a sympathetic gesture. Neither non assuming nor specific, personally i would have thanked him for it but thats me. And lol yes i am an argumentative so and so but will defend anyone that i think is receiving a bad rap through misunderstanding or otherwise. I now politely and diplomatically back away from this conversation leaving with no offence intended. 🙂

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Point taken. I think this boils down to the typical different perceptions of responses.  From what i understand of jdm he is not a presumptuous person and his comment was merely a sympathetic gesture. Neither non assuming nor specific, personally i would have thanked him for it but thats me. And lol yes i am an argumentative so and so but will defend anyone that i think is receiving a bad rap through misunderstanding or otherwise. I now politely and diplomatically back away from this conversation leaving with no offence intended. 🙂

No offence taken from either of you. Sometimes conversational nuances get lost via text communication. Being a fairly direct person myself sometimes things that I type seem standoffish when thats not my intention at all....most of the time. In regards to the topic I ended up ordering some case retainer springs from Cousins; fingers crossed that one of them in the assortment fits. I have also emailed a company that makes custom bezel rings to see if they can help me out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kappa505 said:

No offence taken from either of you. Sometimes conversational nuances get lost via text communication. Being a fairly direct person myself sometimes things that I type seem standoffish when thats not my intention at all....most of the time. In regards to the topic I ended up ordering some case retainer springs from Cousins; fingers crossed that one of them in the assortment fits. I have also emailed a company that makes custom bezel rings to see if they can help me out.

👍

1 hour ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I rather like my own Orient watch.  As JDM mentioned, it is not the easiest watch to service, and I hope I never need to look for parts, but with that caveat in mind it seems to keep very good time indeed and is extremely reliable.

I really like the look of both of these watches. One of them (the black one) is running now. I just need to find a bezel that fits.